Sunday, June 16, 2024
Agreement reached on statewide smoking ban

Agreement reached on statewide smoking ban: State Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, speaks at a press conference at the Capitol Wednesday to announce a smoking ban agreement.

Lawmakers announced a deal on a bill Wednesday that would implement a statewide smoking ban in Wisconsin workplaces by July 5, 2010. 

The ban, dubbed ""the people's issue"" by Rep. Alvin Ott, R-Forest Junction, is also included within Gov. Jim Doyle's budget. 

The bill would take effect simultaneously in all Wisconsin workplaces, including taverns, next year—a year later than the budget's ban calls for. 

Exceptions to the ban would only be granted to existing cigar bars that receive a majority of their income from tobacco sales and tobacco retailers who receive at least 75 percent of their income from tobacco sales.  

""No legislation is perfect, and no compromise will satisfy everyone,"" said state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, who has been pushing for a smoking ban for years. ""But the compromise we have here today is a good one, and I will be urging my Senate colleagues to approve it."" 

According to Senate Health Committee Chair Rep. Jon Erpenbach, D-Middleton, local governments may continue to regulate smoking on property that they own but ""cannot go stronger than state law when it comes to smoking outdoors."" 

Rep. Jon Richards, D-Milwaukee, said, ""It's a compromise. It's brought Democrats and Republicans together, it's brought SmokeFree Wisconsin and the Tavern League together and it's something that's going to work well for Wisconsin."" 

Tavern League President Rob Swearingen expressed concerns about the agreement. ""This will be an adjustment for my members,"" Swearingen said. ""We're hoping it will not be too much of a hardship on them."" 

Ott, however, believes the bill will have a positive effect on the Tavern League. 

""I'm optimistic there's going to be a lot of good things that come out of this for the Tavern League,"" Ott said. ""As well as, most importantly, for the people of the state of Wisconsin."" 

Both Jerri Allen, CEO of the American Cancer Society's Midwest Division, and Maureen Busalacchi, executive director of SmokeFree Wisconsin, expressed approval for the agreement.  

""This agreement will protect Wisconsin workers and protect the public from the increased risk of cancer and other illnesses in Wisconsin caused by secondhand smoke exposure,"" Allen said. 

Members of the Senate Health Committee expect to vote on the bill Friday and plan to send the bill to the floor by May 13. 

""As soon as this bill takes effect it will start saving lives of our citizens and saving money for our taxpayers,"" Risser said.