WISPIRG hosts second Poverty Summit, stresses education

The Wisconsin Student Public Interest Research Group hosted its second Poverty Summit Saturday and encouraged students to educate themselves about the current poverty issues in Wisconsin.  

The Poverty Summit was part of WISPIRG's Hunger and Homelessness Campaign that works to raise awareness about poverty. According to its mission statement, the group works ""to alleviate poverty through education, legislation and service.""

""[Students] can take a role by demanding change, and change is going to come because people demand,"" Andy Heidt, the event's guest speaker and Dane County human services ombudsman, said. ""Call the governor's office, finance committee people and push them to fix the problems.""  

The conference focused on education and legislation, and addressed poverty issues like the Madison housing system and the proposed ban on tax exemptions for nonprofit organizations.  

Mariana Berbert, WISPIRG's education and awareness coordinator, said education on the poverty issue and state legislation will help in solving homelessness.  

""Education really goes into, ‘why are [homeless] hungry, why can't they find food themselves?'"" she said. ""The legislation part focuses on, ‘how can we fix these problems in the long run so they that they can see themselves without the help of a soup kitchen or shelter?'""  

According to Cynthia Travis, Tenant Advocacy Group and Road Home representative, public housing has improved significantly from the efforts of people speaking out and working to end homelessness.  

""We want to keep this motivation in the right direction, and we are interested in educating [homeless people] on how to budget and keep on track so that they won't have to lower their self-esteem so much,"" Travis said.  

According to Travis, it is important to continue increasing the amount of programs that help transitional and shelter housing. 

Heidt said poverty is an issue that ""savagely"" affects young children who have no control over their lives. 

He said poor housing systems create volatile living conditions for the most vulnerable people, including single mothers and people with limited education. WISPIRG has raised more than $6,000 through the participation in Hunger Cleanup Campaign, and donated over $3,1000 to the Road Home, which helps the homeless community by working to prevent poverty.