Wisconsin continues spring season against Bison

Wisconsin will host North Dakota State Saturday for the second of the Badgers' three home matches of the spring schedule.  

The young Wisconsin team looks to rebound after losing four straight sets to Iowa State last weekend in a match the Badgers almost had to cancel because of injuries and illnesses. The Badgers played without junior All-American outside hitter Brittney Dolgner and redshirt freshman outside hitter Katie Schill, as well as a number of players who were sick the week leading up to the match.  

Head coach Pete Waite said Schill will not play this weekend and junior outside hitter Caity DuPont will only participate in the morning practice session, but Waite expects Dolgner to play in the afternoon match. Although the spring matches are important for building team chemistry in preparation for the fall season, Waite said the injuries will give younger players the opportunity to get some valuable match experience. 

""Any time we can have the upperclassmen on the court, it certainly helps with our stability on the court,"" Waite said. ""But still, getting anybody on the court in the spring is good experience for the fall."" 

The match allows the Badgers to continue fine-tuning the 5-1 offense against a difficult NDSU team that went 24-4 and made its first NCAA tournament appearance in 2008. The Badgers are in the process of switching back to the 5-1 after playing in the 6-2 offensive formation for most of the 2008 season, mainly to take advantage of freshman setter Janelle ""Nellie"" Gabrielsen's setting abilities.  

""I think Nellie's making some good progress,"" Waite said of the 2007 Gatorade Player of the Year for Wisconsin. ""It still will come down to our passing and our ball handling—if we can give her a good ball, she'll be able to deliver some great sets, and she's picking it up every week and getting better at it."" 

The Badgers will be coached by Cathy Noth for the match while Waite and assistant coach Brian Heffernan are away on recruiting trips. 

""[Noth's] got a great background, having coached and played at Nebraska,"" Waite said. ""We're very lucky to have her here in town with us."" 

The match will start at 1 p.m. Saturday at the Field House.