Vanevenhoven shuts out Northern Illinois

Vanevenhoven shuts out Northern Illinois: Senior Leah Vanevenhoven's pitched a complete game Wednesday.

In its final non-conference game of the season, the Wisconsin softball team beat Northern Illinois, 2-0, with a solid pitching performance from senior Leah Vanevenhoven and a late rally. 

Northern Illinois (9-9 MAC, 15-34 overall) came into Madison having won four of its last six games. The Badgers (2-12 Big Ten, 14-35 overall) managed to overcome the solid pitching of Huskie freshman Morgan Bittner. 

The game quickly turned into a pitcher's duel. Bittner held a no-hitter through five innings Vanevenhoven gave up only three hits through her first six innings of work. 

In the sixth, sophomore outfielder Ashley Hanewich broke up the no-hitter with a drive to left. Hanewich challenged the arm of the Northern Illinois left fielder and stretched the hit into a double. The throw beat Hanewich, but Hanewich executed a perfect slide around the tag. 

""I was actually nervous I was going to get thrown out, so I just slid away from her and tried to ground it,"" Hanewich said. 

The Badgers then played small ball. Vanevenhoven helped her cause with a sacrifice bunt, pushing Hanewich to third, and senior third baseman Theresa Boruta pushed the run home with an RBI single. After Boruta stole second, sophomore second baseman Livi Abney singled, pushing Boruta to third. 

Boruta and Abney then fooled the Northern Illinois fielders, as Abney distracted the catcher by taking off for second, while Boruta came in to score on a close play at the plate. Boruta and Abney recorded a bizarre double steal and gave the Badgers a 2-0 advantage. 

""Theresa did a fantastic job,"" Wisconsin head coach Chandelle Schulte said. ""Her and Livi played it out perfectly,"" . 

Vanevenhoven matched her counterpart Bittner in giving up three only three hits, and struck out one less batter than the Huskie pitcher. But the Wisconsin senior beat her opponent in the most important stat of the game—runs. While the Northern Illinois freshman could not hold off the Badger offense, the Wisconsin veteran stayed strong in the circle and led her team to a late-season victory. The win improved Vanevenhoven's record to 6-12. 

Wisconsin will now head to East Lansing, Mich., for a doubleheader with Michigan State this weekend. The Spartans (3-12 Big Ten, 19-26 overall) split a pair of games with Penn State Wednesday. 

Wisconsin's meeting with Michigan State brings together two teams who have faced similar struggles during the 2009 campaign. While the Badgers have an opportunity to win in conference this weekend, Schulte and the players denied any added pressure against the Spartans. 

""I don't think there's any more pressure than there was before, but I think we'd be disappointed if we didn't come out with a win,"" Schulte said. 

""You have to go at every competitor like they're number one,"" Boruta said.