UWPD trains SAFEwalkers in campus safety awareness

UWPD trains SAFEwalkers in campus safety awareness: A UWPD officer trains members of SAFEwalk at a forum Sunday.

UWPD officers trained members of SAFEwalk for Badger Watch, a UW-Madison crime prevention organization, at Memorial Union Sunday. 

According to Heidi Laundrie, UWPD lower campus community officer, Badger Watch is a program that encourages members to watch for and report crime in the UW-Madison community.  

Laundrie said Badger Watch began in 2002 as a volunteer program. She said it has now expanded to include over 1,400 members. 

\Volunteers do as little or as much as they want to do,"" Laundrie said. ""If it's nothing it's just to keep yourself safe, you've done your job."" 

According to a release, Badger Watch training is easy and no further commitments are required. It allows community members to be better aware of their surroundings so they are able to report crimes when they see them take place. 

Laundrie said the organization is constantly changing based on students' concerns about campus and community safety. 

""Right now we have a lot more thefts, so we are geared a little more towards keeping your things safe,"" Laundrie said. 

Members of SAFE Nighttime Services received training for the Badger Watch program at the forum. 

According to Troy Ruland, second shift SAFE supervisor, the SAFE program recently underwent several policy changes because of disorganization and lack of communication within their office. 

Ruland said his position was created to organize the SAFE office and oversee its employees. 

""I'm really the eyes and ears for both Transportation Services and the students,"" Ruland said. 

According to Ruland, there are currently 24 students working for SAFE, and they work six to 30 hours during a two-week period.  

Ruland said a smaller number of workers allows them to have greater contact with one another so they will work better together, which is crucial in emergency situations. 

""The more students I have on, the less I see them,"" Ruland said. ""The more I see them, the more I can interact with them."" 

Laundrie said she hopes the forum helps UW-Madison SAFEwalk members improve their overall service. 

""If one person walks out of here tonight with some knowledge that they didn't know before or something happens and they are able to use what they learned, [Badger Watch] worked,"" Laundrie said. 

For more information about Badger Watch or SAFEwalk, visit www.safeu.wisc.edu.