Time for government to materialize more promises

By Molly Rivera 

College Democrats 

After the 2008 election, many supporters of President Obama have taken to the slogan ""Yes we did."" Our incredible achievements across the state and nation should not be overlooked nor forgotten. However, that statement fosters a sense of ultimate completion which inhibits continued engagement in Democratic politics. It fails to encourage future progressive actions.  

With Wednesday being Obama's 100th day in office, political media is obsessed with giving Obama an evaluation. From a Democratic perspective, a lot of positive changes have happened in America. Obama and Congressional Democrats worked hard to build and pass the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which includes investments in renewable energy, new infrastructure, college affordability and creation of millions of jobs. Wisconsin's U.S. Sen. Russ Feingold, D-Wis., and Sen. Herb Kohl, D-Wis., among other Congressional Democrats, advocated for the State Children's Health Insurance Program, providing health care to millions of children, and the Lilly Ledbetter Fair Pay Act, mandating equal pay for women in the workplace—both of which passed into law.  

Gov. Doyle and our state Legislature launched new efforts to invest in conservation and renewable energy sources through the Clean Energy Wisconsin plan, and increased college accessibility through the UW Growth Agenda.  

Although these accomplishments certainly constitute positive changes in our country and our state, there is still work to be done. We are still engaged in two wars. Millions upon millions of Americans do not have health insurance. Wisconsin law bans gay marriage. But there is hope.  

Our government is laying the groundwork for a country headed in a new direction. A new infrastructure is developing, creating new opportunities for actual change. But the process does not stop there. These ideas and promises must be carried out in public policy and legislation. Obama has pledged to begin withdrawing troops from Iraq. In the state budget, Doyle has proposed including domestic partner benefits for all state employees, along with those at our university. But these visions will not materialize without continued support.  

The current leadership in government on the state and national level has the potential to shift the legislative agenda by prioritizing issues such as economic stability, health-care accessibility, environmental sustainability, and college affordability. However, these important issues will never be implemented in the form of laws if Democrats disengage and slip into complacency. The fall elections in 2008 generated a lot of excitement and involvement. But if that energy stops at the inauguration of Obama, he will not be able to deliver the change we need. If that commitment to Democratic politics, especially from the youth, does not emerge again in upcoming elections, then Democrats will not be able to maintain their position to significantly shape and improve public policy.  

Students therefore must continue the movement of youth involvement in politics that was at the forefront of the election last fall. We must strongly advocate for the issues that matter to us. We can commit to Obama, but more importantly, we must commit to the issues for which he stands.  

Molly Rivera is a sophomore and is the chair of the College Democrats of Madison. We welcome your feedback. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.