Stolen liquor causes battery on State St.

A Madison man was taken to the hospital after trying to stop a perpetrator who had just stolen a bottle of alcohol from a State Street liquor store Sunday night.  

According to a police report, Madison police were called after notification that a man had been battered. Witnesses reported the man fell unconscious but police arrived on the scene to find he had just awoken after suffering a head injury.  

The 44-year-old victim told police he had confronted a man who was running down State Street with a bottle of vodka. According to police, the vodka came from Badger Liquor, 402 State St., where the suspect was banned from. After the store clerk refused to sell him alcohol, the man put $11 on the counter and ran off with the liquor, which sells for nearly $15.  

The victim said he heard the clerk yell that the man had just taken the alcohol and tried to stop him. The victim then grabbed the bottle from the suspect but was pushed to the ground and hit his head on the pavement.  

The suspect is described as a white male, in his 50's, long gray or light brown hair, 6'2''-6'4'', 250-300 lbs., some missing teeth, wearing a green and white plaid shirt, and shorts.