State lawmakers to re-introduce bill raising tax on beer

A bill to raise the tax on beer will soon be introduced to the Wisconsin state Legislature, but it is already receiving opposition from the governor and alcohol providers. 

State Rep. Terese Berceau, D-Madison, and state Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, are co-sponsoring the bill, which would raise the tax on a barrel of beer from $2 to $10, increasing the amount of taxes paid on one 12 oz. bottle to 2.4 cents. The proposal would generate $40 million in revenue. 

Berceau first proposed the beer tax four years ago, and she said she is re-introducing it because she has noticed growing support from the public. 

""I've had constituents come up to me and say, ‘Why don't you raise that tax? We need the money,'"" she said, in reference to the state's projected $5.9 billion budget deficit. 

She admitted the bill would be difficult to pass because lawmakers are afraid to put their name out there in public in favor of taxes ""people can really understand."" 

All-Wisconsin Alcohol Risk Education, a coalition to fight alcohol abuse, including UW Health in addition to law enforcement agencies and other health-care providers, is encouraging people to urge their state representatives to co-sponsor the bill. 

Gov. Jim Doyle included a tax increase on cigarettes in his budget, but opposes the beer tax increase because ""it is possible to responsibly enjoy a beer without any health risks,"" while there is no healthy level of smoking, spokesperson Lee Sensenbrenner said. 

Pete Madland, executive director of the Tavern League of Wisconsin, said this tax increase would disproportionately affect lower- and middle-class people, and it is a bad idea to put more pressure on the beer industry, especially during some of the worst economic conditions in 70 years. 

""It is just not good economic policy to be taxing an industry that is important to our state,"" he said.