Sponsor still uncertain for Mifflin party

Sponsor still uncertain for Mifflin party: If DCNY PRO is able to sponsor this year's Mifflin Street Block Party, unofficial Mifflin performers may be replaced by more well-known acts.

The final decision for a 2009 Mifflin Street Block Party sponsor will be made Friday, but officials are saying it is unlikely DCNY PRO will host the event. 

Madison's Street Use Staff Team granted DCNY PRO a permit Tuesday, but co-owner Ny Bass said the group needed to raise $4,000 by Friday for the sponsorship to be solidified.  

Lt. Kristen Roman of the Madison Police Department said a sponsorship could decrease the number of arrests made at the party.  

""A sponsored event has a middle and an end and a focus, and that is what has been missing from Mifflin,"" she said. ""In the history of the event there used to be a much more mobilized type of focus and purpose, and that has been lost in recent years.""  

According to Roman, there were nearly 440 arrests made last year and approximately 120 officers patrolling the event. She said the department plans to staff a similar number at this year's Mifflin event. 

Joel DeSpain, spokesperson for MPD, said last year's event was the first he attended in over 20 years. 

""It was shocking to see the level of intoxication,"" he said. 

According to Roman, people who are arrested at Mifflin are handcuffed and taken to an arrest-processing center. The center has previously been in a local parking ramp. This year, however, officials plan to process arrests closer to Mifflin Street for people who are of age and have identification with them. 

Roman said around 20,000 people attend Mifflin each year, leading to dangers involving alcohol consumption and overcrowding at house parties. 

""It is the responsibility of the people who reside in the dwelling to remain at a certain level of safety in terms of the number of people they are packing in,"" Roman said. 

She said depending on the number of people attending Mifflin, the police may close the street, but only for safety concerns.