Rigid sentences fail to make economic sense

Gov. Jim Doyle's approval rating has hit an all time low, according to a poll conducted by the St. Norbert College Survey Center Poll, reaching a grand total of only 45 percent of people feeling at least partially satisfied with the governor's work so far. And while his state budget is not exactly popular either (with only 28 percent favoring it in the same survey), it does contain positive aspects.  

One of those aspects is an early release program for nonviolent criminals. Granted, this sort of provision should not be snuck into a state budget, but rather should go before the people of Wisconsin as a stand-alone bill. However, the proposed program does raise a good question: Has the truth in sentencing policy been effective in Wisconsin? Should we keep it around, or should we return to the old system Wisconsin had in the 90s?  

In reality, Wisconsin has actually seen a drastic increase in not only cost of corrections under the truth in sentencing policy, but also an increase in crime rates, when truth in sentencing was supposed to cut them down. It's evidently time we start looking toward alternatives before we keep throwing our money into a defective policy. 

Truth in sentencing is obviously not working. According to the Department of Corrections, from 2000 (the year after truth in sentencing took effect) to 2007, violent crimes have actually risen in the state by 28 percent. This alone is indicative of the effectiveness of this program. Instead of convincing people to stay away from crime, more are actually committing criminal acts. However, the majority of violent crimes committed from 2000 to 2007—approximately 55 percent—were committed by either repeat offenders or others who violated the terms of their release.  

Thus, it becomes apparent that a majority of these people behind bars are not being reformed into more productive members of society—and why should they try to reform? After all, truth in sentencing has in essence destroyed any reason for criminals to try and better themselves while in prison. Giving non-violent criminals the opportunity for early release in exchange for good behavior and positive changes gives them a reason to try and become better citizens, which will in turn reduce the likelihood of these people slipping back into their criminal lifestyles. 

However, aside from crime rates in Wisconsin actually increasing, keeping these prisoners behind bars has actually cost the state billions of dollars. By implementing the recommendations made by the Council of State Governments Justice Center, the state would save an estimated 2.3 billion, according to an article by the Associated Press. So, not only are Wisconsin residents paying for inmates to stay longer, we are also actually seeing an increase in crimes. Why are we keeping a system that not only is less effective than the former one, but also much more costly? 

Stricter punishments are obviously ineffective, so it's time to try a different approach. Minnesota, a state with comparable population to Wisconsin, only has a quarter of the prison population that Wisconsin has, and yet its crime is still below the national average—as is Wisconsin's. Minnesota implements a three-tiered system, which includes jail time for the most dangerous criminals, probation, or a combination of jail and probation. Instituting a system similar to Minnesota will not only reduce the massive costs associated with truth in sentencing, but may also help reduce crime rates by giving criminals a reason to reform themselves and thus reduce the chance they commit additional crimes. It's a policy Wisconsin lawmakers should certainly look into. 

It is apparent that truth in sentencing has run its course. Increasing costs during a recession, accompanied with an inability to curb crime, should translate into a discontinuation of the policy and more exploration of alternatives. Although the former system of an opportunity for early release may not be the best means of dealing with criminals, it nevertheless is superior in many ways to truth in sentencing, and until a substitute plan can be produced, Wisconsin should reinstitute the opportunity for non-violent criminals to be released early. Not only will it reduce state expenses, but it may also aid in reducing the relapse of ex-criminals into their old habits. 

Ryan Dashek is a junior majoring in biology. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.