Obama: 'B' grade for first 100 days

Last fall, the American people voted to move beyond the stagnation of the previous administration and elected President Obama. The first 100 days of Obama's term have almost passed, bringing everything from socialist paranoia to worthy admiration. Obama and his administration have stumbled at times, but largely they have kept up the hopeful momentum of the campaign trail. 

The election of Obama relied heavily on a desire to change how our government works, his stance on America's current wars and a connection to constituents never before seen in a campaign. Unfortunately, he has not delivered on certain promises. The appointment of Treasury Secretary Timothy Geithner and the aborted nomination of Tom Daschle as secretary of Health and Human Services were almost reckless and immediately called into question Obama's commitment to real change. Similarly, the antiwar rhetoric featured on the campaign trail has largely been forgotten with plans for American soldiers to move from Iraq to Afghanistan.  

Obama's campaign also relied heavily on the youth of America, but the college students who rallied around him have largely been forgotten. Many of the promises focused on college students have been ignored up to this point, although UW-Madison and the city of Madison have benefited from Obama's plans. 

In early March, Obama reversed former President Bush's long-standing limits on funding for stem-cell research and has been unflinching in his support for alternative energy and the environment. These decisions have shown his commitment to scientific progress and a newer America. Obama's stance on lowering the cost of birth control is also a refreshing change from the past.  

Obama also spoke recently about connecting America through the use of high-speed rail, something our national infrastructure has been desperately lacking. Madison could benefit greatly from a rail line connecting it with Milwaukee as well as Chicago. 

Diplomatically, President Obama has carried himself with humility and integrity. His recent appearance at the G-20 Summit helped to establish the fact that America is ready to cooperate again. 

Although Obama's first 100 days have had a largely positive impact, he must be held accountable for his bigger promises. In our endorsement, The Daily Cardinal asked Obama to not forget about his student constituents. Obama must follow through on the promises to provide support struggling higher education. We understand the economy has presented a difficult and time-consuming challenge to your first 100 days, but more can be done for the youth who bolstered your campaign. 

Overall Grade: B