Lebron’s antics could hurt legacy

When the NBA Playoffs begin tomorrow, LeBron James and the Cleveland Cavaliers will enter with the league's best record, clinching home-court advantage for the entire postseason. The Cavs went 39-2 at home this season, making them a strong choice to represent the Eastern Conference in the NBA Finals. But while the Cavs have every right to celebrate their extraordinary year thus far, James and company may want to rethink their excessive on-court antics.  

This year, the Cavs started off hot and have rarely faltered. In my mind, James is the best choice for MVP. What's more impressive is that the Cavs have enjoyed their success despite James' lowest average in minutes per game this season. Fellow all-star guard Mo Williams was a huge off-season acquisition, and others such as center Zydrunas Ilgauskas have been very consistent, elevating Cleveland's play to a higher level. 

The Cavs began the season a focused, humble group, but somewhere along the way they left this attitude behind. Sometime after midseason, the Cavs began a pregame ritual of James pretending to take photos as his teammates assembled in different thematic poses. Surely James and the Cavs would argue that the game is supposed to be fun and this is a way of expressing themselves while providing entertainment for fans. Maybe some agree, but the immediate reaction of most is one of disgust, seeing the act as selfish and disrespectful.  

This pregame ritual was not a one-time event; the Cavs have made it their signature introduction. James hasn't been shy during games either, flexing his muscles and dancing on the sideline during last weekend's blowout victory over the Boston Celtics. While I'm not one to believe in superstitions, I've also seen this arrogant attitude come back to bite people later on. Take Kevin Garnett and the Celtics for example. 

Last year, the Celtics won their first NBA title in 22 years, and the first of Garnett's career. The Celtics rode this success into the beginning of this season, jumping out to a 27-2 record. But with the start also came a newfound arrogance centered on Garnett, demonstrated by an abundance of fist pumps and celebratory gestures during games. 

In February, Garnett sustained a knee injury, which limited him to just 57 games this season and dipped his averages in practically every statistical category down to their lowest levels since his rookie year. The Celtics still managed to attain their second consecutive 60-win season. They could still make a strong run into this year's playoffs, but the greater difficulties that the Celtics have faced since the beginning of the season, particularly Garnett, have made me wonder: Has bad karma played a role?  

Previous to the Celtics' title, Garnett was generally viewed as a well-respected, consistent and classy player who worked hard but was simply not surrounded by the right pieces to make a championship run. That's why many fans, including me, were pleased to see him finally earn a championship ring. With his recent attitude, Garnett has instead caused me to root against him; something that I fear is approaching with James if his arrogant actions continue. 

To be clear, I'm by no means telling James what he can or cannot do. He's a grown man who's enjoying his immense celebrity, and for the most part has earned a great deal of respect for his on- and off-court demeanor. If he really does care about his legacy not just as a basketball player but a human being as well, he may want to cut down on the celebrations. 

I'm confident that James has the skills to become a basketball legend. I said in a column two weeks ago that James could be the savior the NBA is looking for to boost its low popularity. 

As a basketball fanatic, I fully plan to tell the story of James' career to younger generations. When I do, I'd strongly prefer to cast him in the role of a hero, not a villain. 

Think Lebron and the Cavs' fun and games are harmless? E-mail Matt at mfox2@wisc.edu.