Hurlers ready for in-state foe

Hurlers ready for in-state foe: Sophomore outfielder Jennifer Krueger leads the Badgers with a .345 batting average.

Hurlers ready for in-state foe

The Badger softball team (1-3 Big Ten, 11-21 overall) will host the UW-Green Bay Phoenix (1-2 Horizon, 11-11 overall) in an interstate doubleheader at the Goodman Softball Complex Wednesday. 

Wisconsin comes into the contest having split its last two series with North Dakota and Indiana. The Phoenix recently dropped two of three games to the Cleveland State Vikings, a Horizon League rival. In a lopsided three-game series, Green Bay recorded its victory in a close 1-0 affair, but was outscored 14-3 in the two losses. 

Badger head coach Chandelle Schulte must manage her pitchers carefully against Green Bay. Last weekend in Bloomington, Ind., junior hurler Letty Olivarez threw 12.2 innings in two games against the Hoosiers, pitching a complete game victory and then relieving senior Leah Vanevenhoven in the first inning of game two. 

""I think sometimes we beat ourselves more than anything,"" said Olivarez about her and Vanevenhoven's pitching this year. Upon returning to Madison, Olivarez worked with the team trainer to prepare her arm for Green Bay. 

Schulte said that Olivarez could handle the fatigue of one weekend, but Vanevenhoven would have to fill more innings to avoid burning Olivarez out. 

""If [Olivarez] has to throw two on Wednesday, that is not a good situation,"" she said. 

According to Schulte, sophomore Kristyn Hansen may get some innings in the circle if necessary. Hansen, however, has only thrown 8.1 innings this season, and struggled in her only start against Fresno State on Feb. 28. 

Wisconsin pitchers will look to shut down the Green Bay junior trio of Melani Niederer, Katie Cooney and Krissy Hanson. The three Phoenix sluggers are the only players on Green Bay's squad who have batting averages above .300 while playing in a majority of the team's games. On the season, Green Bay's team batting average is 65 points lower than that of its opponents. 

The Badger lineup should expect innings from Phoenix pitcher Amanda Margelofsky. The senior hurler has the only winning record for Green Bay's pitching staff at 7-2. All other pitchers for the Phoenix have a combined record of 4-9. 

Badger sophomore Jennifer Krueger will look to carry recent success into Wednesday's doubleheader. The Portage, Wis., native has come through as the Badgers' leadoff hitter. Against Indiana, Krueger scored four of Wisconsin's seven runs in the two games, going 5-for-7 at the plate. 

""I think, right now, she's my most improved player,"" said Schulte. The coach remarked how having Krueger in the leadoff position creates opportunities for the Badgers' 3-4-5 hitters. 

The last time Wisconsin and Green Bay faced off, on Feb. 23, 2008, the Badgers swept a pair of games from the Phoenix, outscoring Green Bay 10-2. Current Badger sophomores Livi Abney and Dana Rasmussen, then freshmen, had important offensive roles in those victories, as well as senior Theresa Boruta. 

""We're excited to keep the tradition going,"" said Krueger. 

Despite Green Bay's inconsistency, Schulte ensures that the team will not overlook Green Bay for other, more formidable future opponents. 

""We play to our opponent's level,"" she said. ""We're not looking past anything."" 

Game one will begin at 4 p.m. at the Goodman Softball Complex, with game two slated to start at 6.