High-fructose corn syrup is high in misconception

Time and again we encounter situations in which facts are not completely revealed nor explained, especially in the field of science. From misconceptions about vaccines causing autism, to blaming high fructose corn syrup for causing obesity and diabetes, those who advocate for a cause often have not investigated the scientific facts pertaining to the topic. A piece of advice to all: know your topic before running with it, particularly when the topic is scientifically based and you wish to debate it with someone in the sciences. Today, I will elucidate the most common misconceptions surrounding the topic of high-fructose corn syrup. For background knowledge: sucrose, fructose and glucose are all forms of sugar I mention in this article. 

High-fructose corn syrup is a solution of 45 percent glucose and 55 percent fructose. It is very similar to regular corn syrup, a solution primarily composed of glucose that has been infused with fructose. Corn syrup is derived from breaking down cornstarch, which is a more effective polymer of glucose used to store sugar than in its monomeric form. 

Table sugar is a disaccharide (a complex sugar with two simple sugars put together) called sucrose. Interestingly enough, the two simple sugars are glucose and fructose, which are the same two sugars found in high-fructose corn syrup. In fact ,these sugars are present at a 1:1 ratio. Therefore, what is the difference between table sugar and high-fructose corn syrup? 

Aside from removing the step where your body breaks sucrose down into its glucose and fructose components, there is no difference. Your body then further metabolizes the sugar into energy necessary to run every cell in your body. Any energy not used is then converted into either short- or long-term storage such as fat. 

Incidences of obesity and diabetes are rapidly increasing in the United States. People blame this increase on the disparity between calories consumed and calories burned. These calories come from many energy sources, including proteins, carbohydrates and fats. 

The vendetta against high-fructose corn syrup began with the rise of obesity and diabetes. Many blamed the deteriorating physical health of the American population on the switch from table sugar as a sweetener to high-fructose corn syrup. The switch came because of the cheap production cost of high-fructose corn syrup and because it is a more potent sweetener. However, studies have shown this to be correlational at best and by no means causal. Yet, two particular arguments remain. 

The first is that there is a common misconception that, since high-fructose corn syrup is manufactured through enzymatic means, there could be a risk of harmful impurities in the end product. Although there is a risk for impurities, there is also a risk when harvesting sucrose from sugar beets or sugar cane. There is always the possibility of impurities in anything processed, which is why we have the Food and Drug Administration to help regulate food production. Any impurities found in high fructose corn syrup or table sugar would not be harmful or would be at such low levels that they would not have any adverse effects. 

Secondly, people have proposed that the consumption of high fructose corn syrup affects the hormone regulation necessary for the feeling of satiation. The cause of this is thought to be the concentration of fructose in the solution. However, if this were the case, I sincerely doubt that consuming a difference of 5 percent more fructose than table sugar in any given food would stimulate a drastic change in hormone levels. In fact, from my biochemistry background, any changes in hormones would take much more time. Therefore, since table sugar and high fructose corn syrup both have similar compositions, each would be fine to consume. 

Overconsumption is indeed a growing problem in American society, causing poorer health and increased diabetes. Attempting to blame a single additive for the nation's growing health problems does not make sense. Moderation in all things is key. In the end, each individual must be responsible for their own health. You are the one making your own decisions, so stand by them.  

Sean McMaster is a junior majoring in biochemistry and mathematics. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.