Eagon, Maniaci for city council

Without question, serving as District 8 alder in the large and impressive shadow of outgoing Ald. Eli Judge is not the most enviable position. Both Bryon Eagon and Mark Woulf, the two candidates for Judge's position, have made no secret about their respect for Judge and commitment to continuing his impressive work in students' issues such as downtown lighting and tenant rights. Although both candidates bring an impressive slate of ideas related to student and city concerns, only Bryon Eagon has the pragmatic and realistic approach to accomplish the focal points of his campaign. After meeting with both candidates, The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board reaffirms its earlier endorsement for Bryon Eagon in District 8. 

Eagon's platform is an impressive catalogue of policies and intended improvement, including a campus safety plan balanced by expanding Judge's current work on the Downtown Residential Lighting Initiative with a collaborative safety organization composed of various representatives from UW-Madison, the UW Greek system, ASM, Madison Police Department and any other organizations interested in joining the dialogue about city safety.  

The crux of Woulf's campaign has centered around reducing bar raids as well as opening up these establishments to those over 18, thereby reducing the number of students at house parties and other venues that threaten their safety and utilizing more police officers in maintaining downtown safety. Although Woulf's plan is novel in its purposes, his proposal may be too farfetched to garner any support in the Common Council.  

Woulf's plan for downtown bars to purchase entertainment licenses may be a tough sell considering the dual concern of underage students either coming to their establishment inebriated or receiving alcohol through older patrons in the bar, making compliance checks even more of a complication for bar owners. In addition, the proposal might be a hard sell to the under-21 crowd, especially if establishments are strict on underage patrons separated from of-age patrons. Perhaps Woulf's own run-in with police at a bar raid has had too large of an impact on this particular platform idea. 

Although Eagon may not be as extroverted as Woulf in his public speaking, he does provide a comprehensive and realistic platform outlining his explicit goals for District 8 and its future. In tenants' rights, Eagon seeks to mandate a more tenant-friendly lease-signing process, as well as supporting and expanding aspects of the photo ordinance and promoting Judge's landlord rating website. Woulf's suggestion of a separate mediation process in tenant-landlord disputes—though a lovely thought—would likely be too big of an endeavor despite the possible merits of such a system.  

Woulf presented a willingness to dedicate himself to the responsibilities of alder for the long term, explaining that he wanted to see next year's group of freshmen through to their senior year. Unfortunately, Woulf may be better served to get himself a bit more familiar with the pertinent and pragmatic issues of Madison and run again after Eagon likely moves on to bigger political involvement. Right now, Bryon Eagon is the most prepared and experienced candidate to take on the role of District 8 alder. 

District 2 alder 

Bridget Maniaci and District 2 Ald. Brenda Konkel have drawn two very different perceptions in the days leading up to the District 2 election. Konkel, never afraid to defy Mayor Dave Cieslewicz or push a controversial policy, could be the potential wildcard factor in the race.  

Maniaci, however, is pushing for a safe, infrastructure-heavy plan to appeal to voters. Although her previous work as a press intern under Mayor Dave Cieslewicz as well as his subsequent endorsement of her may raise red flags, we do not believe Maniaci will sacrifice her constituents' interests to appease a former boss.  

However, District 2 needs a voice of reason, and Konkel is not the answer. Her propensity to push policies and ordinances that are not seen as prudent issues or ideas by the Common Council. Maniaci's realistic views on updating housing projects and tackling the issues related to neighborhood businesses are the kinds of policy making necessary in light of the current recession. 

Konkel has never been afraid to push her views and policies, even if they were unpopular. However, what District 2—and Madison—needs right now is a practical alder who will enact pragmatic policies and choose her battles in the common council wisely. Bridget Maniaci offers that opportunity for District 2, and The Daily Cardinal Editorial Board endorses her for District 2 Alder.