Cieslewicz must keep city moving

Mayor Dave Cieslewicz didn't pull any unexpected punches when he delivered the State of the City address on Wednesday. His speech detailed six priorities, all of which centered on the city economy in some fashion.  

For the most part, Cieslewicz provided pointed, logical solutions to preserving individual jobs and supporting businesses in Madison. His work in expanding UW-Madison research projects into profitable Madison businesses is a proactive way to both encourage research grants and expand the city's diverse array of business ventures. Cieslewicz pushed for $4 million in federal funding to develop the BioLink incubator facility, a unique agriculture research enterprise to benefit Madison's long-term economy. This type of funding also complements Cieslewicz's desire to encourage UW-Madison graduates to return to the city. 

Cieslewicz acknowledged the growing need to prepare for the possibilities of high-speed rail and better public transportation in the city. He cited the need to create a regional transit authority to handle issues related to bussing and rail, but Cieslewicz has already allocated his stimulus funds on 18 new hybrid buses for the fleet in 2010, rather than pursuing other transit needs. He has made it clear that metro buses will be the future for Madison public transportation and rail is strictly for regional purposes. Time will tell if Cieslewicz made the right decision, but for now, the hybrid buses appear to be a long-term financial gain and an impressive effort to prioritize environmental responsibility. 

However, Cieslewicz tried too hard to spin the hard-hitting facts of the economy. As one of his six focal points of economic stability, Cieslewicz highlighted the need to preserve Madison's image as a haven for arts and tourism. Economic impact notwithstanding, he has been fairly clear that the Overture's financial troubles will receive no city aid. In addition to the Repertory Theatre's closing and the Chamber Orchestra's union debacle, Cieslewicz has all but admitted defeat for some of Madison's major artistic outlets. Simply admitting that the city has to focus on economic concerns first would have sufficed, but the arts are clearly one area where Cieslewicz has claimed defeat in the tough economic times. 

One failed economic aspect Cieslewicz admitted to was affordable housing and inclusive zoning. Madison has made little headway in creating new facilities to appeal to all income levels, whether it is unemployed single residents or lower-class families. More efforts to team with Porchlight properties can alleviate those hit hardest by the recession and should be prioritized, including efforts to take advantage of the cleared properties at Union Corners on the east side or St. Rafael's block downtown. Instead of promoting only business ventures in these lots, new affordable housing projects deserve priority. 

Near the end of his address, Cieslewicz claimed, ""A good city is measured by the opportunities it gives to those who can't find opportunity elsewhere."" Keeping this ideal in mind, Madison should strive to maximize business potential while still maintaining its standing as the number two place in the United States to find a job. If Madison is to balance progressivism and prosperity, Cieslewicz must make fiscal responsibility his middle name.