Badgers unable to take game from Buckeyes in extra innings

Badgers unable to take game from Buckeyes in extra innings: UW senior infielder Alexis Garcia and the Badgers hope to rebound from their 10-game losing streak Wednesday against Minnesota.

The Wisconsin softball team (1-9 Big Ten, 12-32 overall) does not believe in moral victories, but even though it lost 10-0 and 6-5 in Saturday's double-header against No. 15 Ohio State (11-1, 35-6), the team showed some real encouraging signs. 

The Badgers sent out junior Letty Olivarez to pitch the first game. Going into the weekend, her ERA was a respectable 2.94, but she struggled against the Buckeye hitters. She gave up 10 earned runs on 10 hits and seven walks while striking out five. The game broke wide open in the top of the seventh when the Buckeye's scored five runs, including a 3-run homerun from junior outfielder Leah Ledford. 

Senior Nichole Whaley led Wisconsin at the plate going 2-for-2. The Badgers were successful at hitting off Ohio State senior pitcher Kim Reeder, who leads the Buckeyes with a 1.22 ERA, a 19-3 record and 146 strikeouts. But they did not get the necessary timely hits, leaving 12 runners on base. 

In game two, the Badgers came out looking like a different team. Wisconsin senior pitcher Leah Vanevenhoven kept the Buckeye hitters at bay early in the game. She only allowed one run in the first six innings and seemed to get better as the game went on. 

The usually dormant Wisconsin offense gave her support, too. In the bottom of the third with two outs and bases loaded, junior shortstop Katie Soderberg smashed a base-clearing double into deep center field giving the Badgers a 3-0 lead. 

""It feels good,"" Soderberg said. ""I knew my swing was feeling good going into today, so I was ready."" 

Known more for her defensive ability than offensive, Soderberg's 3-run double gave her six RBIs on the season. It was the first time all year the Badgers held a lead against a ranked team. 

Wisconsin added another run in the bottom of the third when senior Theresa Boruta scored from second base on a ball that got past Ohio State's catcher. In the bottom of the sixth, Soderberg played hero again and added her seventh RBI of the year, slapping a ground ball off the pitcher that scored senior Alexis Garcia from second. 

""[I was] pretty excited,"" Soderberg said. ""It's nice when anybody on our team starts with some big momentum. I think it's something that can turn the game around."" 

Going to the top of the seventh the team and the crowd were on the edge of their seats. Wisconsin was three outs from its biggest win of the year. But Ohio State is a tough and talented team, and they did not quit. 

Vanevenhoven pitched an amazing game, but whether it was the steady downpour of rain or fatigue, the Buckeyes rallied to tie the game at 5-5. In that inning, Ohio State junior Courtney Pruner hit a 2-run shot to left center, and Ledford hit a triple that scored a run and pulled the Buckeyes to 5-4. Then, on a ball in the dirt, Ledford scored the tying run from third. 

The rally sent the game into extra innings, and it was not until the top of the 11th when the Buckeyes hit an RBI single that would prove to be the game winner. It was a heartbreaking loss, but UW head coach Chandelle Schulte was extremely proud of her players, especially Vanevenhoven. 

""I thought she was great through 10, but you got to finish,"" Schulte said. ""It was the first complete game I've seen us play, through ten, minus that one [inning], and we can't catch a break."" 

The Badgers continue their homestand Wednesday against Minnesota and will be looking to continue their tough play. 

""I think the heart is something we've been missing for a while, and everyone dug deep today and hopefully we can keep it going,"" Soderberg said.