Wisconsin splits weekend series with North Dakota

Wisconsin splits weekend series with North Dakota: Wisconsin junior forward Andy Bohmbach registered two assists Saturday night against North Dakota at the Kohl Center.

On an emotional weekend for the team's seniors, the Wisconsin men's hockey team closed out the regular season with a pair of hard-fought contests against North Dakota, and came out of the series with home ice in their WCHA playoff games against Minnesota State next weekend.  

Although the Badgers squandered another lead in the first game against the Sioux, a pair of shorthanded goals by freshman forward Derek Stepan helped Wisconsin earn a 4-1 victory in front of a sellout crowd at the Kohl Center Saturday night.  

After Friday's 2-1 loss, however, UW head coach Mike Eaves said he was not as concerned about it as he had been about other losses in the past.  

Eaves said he asked his players in the locker room, ""Did you leave your heart and souls on the ice for each other?"" 

""If you watch that game they absolutely did,"" he said. ""The thing that would bother me [is] if we lost this game tonight and we didn't do that.""  

Despite their loss, the Badgers learned they had secured home ice in the WCHA playoffs after Friday's game because the three teams behind them—St. Cloud State, Minnesota, and Minnesota-Duluth—all lost their games as well.  

UW junior forward Ben Grotting, who scored the Badgers' only goal Friday night, said the news of playing at home again provided a much-needed emotional boost for UW. 

""It gives us an extra little kick that we definitely need at this point,"" he said.  

With the pressure of earning home ice off the team Saturday, Wisconsin again played North Dakota tough in a physical and emotional senior night game, this time coming away with a win to end the regular season.  

""[Friday] night's game was a playoff game, tonight's game we needed a playoff effort and got the result that we wanted with that effort,"" Eaves said.  

A big part of Saturday's win was the Badgers' play on special teams, which successfully killed off five penalties, including a five-minute major called on Brendan Smith. The Badgers also scored two shorthanded goals on the same North Dakota power play.  

""It was highly unusual and it was a turning point in the game for us,"" Eaves said about the goals, both of which were scored by Stepan with an assist from junior forward Andy Bohmbach.  

Eaves complemented Stepan after the game, comparing him to former Badger and current San Jose Sharks player Joe Pavelski, who played on the 2005-'06 national championship-winning team. 

""He thinks [through] the game like Joe Pavelski,"" he said. ""He reminds me of his ability to be perceptive on the ice and yet have the skill to do the things he wants.""  

Wisconsin senior goaltender Shane Connelly had a much-improved game Saturday, posting 38 saves in the win. Connelly said he had to shake off his past few performances to earn the win against North Dakota, which he said was crucial for the team and his own confidence. 

""I wanted to make a stand knowing that enough is enough with giving up leads, and we have got to start making a statement, sending a message to other teams,"" he said. 

The Badgers will try to take the momentum from Saturday's game into their playoff series against Minnesota State. The last time Wisconsin faced the Mavericks, Feb. 27-28 in Mankato, the Badgers came away with an overtime loss and tie. 

Wisconsin and Minnesota State will face off March 13-15 at the Kohl Center.