UW group speaks out against changes to misconduct code

The United Council of UW Students is opposing proposed changes to the UW System code of conduct that could crucially change how the university disciplines students. 

According to Michael Moscicke, university affairs director for the council, the organization is concerned with the possible hazard to students' rights in proposed revisions to Chapter 17 of the administrative code, which deals with conduct of UW students.  

One objection involves the chance that the university could punish students for off-campus offenses. 

""It really increases the university's abilities to punish students for things that don't necessarily affect the university,"" Moscicke said. 

However, UW System Spokesperson David Giroux said off-campus offenses must be very serious misconduct that poses a threat to or impairs the university. Some example offenses are sexual assault and stalking. Giroux said only students ""trying very hard to behave badly"" would be affected by these changes. 

""On the one hand, we have students concerned about their rights, on the other hand, we have neighbors and community members who don't think that the new rules go far enough,"" Giroux said. ""So we're really trying to strike a happy medium here."" 

The Joint Legislative Council has pointed out several aspects of the code revisions that should be changed, and questioned a provision that would eliminate the requirement that students have the right to legal representation at a disciplinary hearing, according to their written comments. 

The United Council voiced their concerns over the proposed changes Thursday in Milwaukee before a public hearing in which the UW Board of Regents listened to testimony on these revisions. The Regents will vote on any amendments in May before the revisions head to the Legislature for approval. 

""I do expect the board to approve some new version of Chapter 17 in May. It might be a version the students support it might not be,"" Moscicke said, adding his organization will take up the matter with the Legislature if the Regents pass changes students do not support. 

According to Giroux, rules governing student behavior are clear, and attending college should be partly about learning to be a good citizen.