Supreme Court candidates spar in final debate

Supreme Court candidates spar in final debate: Jefferson County circuit court judge Randy Koschnick and Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson debated live on television Friday.

State Supreme Court candidates Randy Koschnick, Jefferson County circuit court judge, and Chief Justice Shirley Abrahamson argued their views on various issues Friday in a televised debate sponsored by We the People. 

Abrahamson stood by her years of experience on the bench as chief justice, and said several police and firefighter organizations support her election. 

Koschnick attacked Abrahamson's support from these organizations, claiming these groups supported her to protect their wages rather than for her judicial record. 

A judicial conservative, Koschnick claimed Abrahamson uses the bench for judicial activist purposes. 

""Judicial conservatism is the belief that judges should apply and interpret laws, not make them,"" he said. ""That is how the people are best served."" 

Koschnick asked Abrahamson to explain how she could live up to her ad campaign claiming to support Wisconsin families when she was the only judge to strike down Wisconsin's predator law. 

Abrahamson responded by explaining her judicial philosophy when faced with controversial issues. 

""Equal justice for all people, regardless of economic status, regardless of gender, regardless of race,"" she said. 

Both candidates also discussed ways the state Supreme Court could improve itself in 2009. Koschnick claimed his actions on the bench helped reduce the length of drunken driving cases and helped keep drunken drivers off the roads. 

Abrahamson said she would aid people who decide to represent themselves in court, and ensure adequate funding for court procedures. 

The election for the State Supreme Court will take place on April 7.