Student veterans share experiences after returning from service

vets for vets: A group of student veterans confessed the difficulties of returning back to school at a discussion in Humanities Wednesday.

A panel sponsored by the Undergraduate History Association Wednesday allowed UW-Madison student veterans to share their experiences with others about their transition from the service to school.  

Veterans Joe Dillenburg, Gerald Kapinos and Carol Warden answered questions from the audience about army, air force and navy life, and how it affected their outlooks on life.  

It gives you a lot of insight into what is important,"" Kapinos, who is also president of the Vets for Vets Association, said. ""It helps you to learn discipline and to get along with other people.""  

Dillenburg emphasized the benefits of serving in the army, such as a more mature mindset. 

""I remember watching these 18, 19, 20-year old kids that came and seeing how quickly they grew up,"" he said.  

Warden commented on some of the more difficult contrasts between being in the Navy and being a student.  

""During the Navy you have a lot of on-the-job training, but now you have research,"" he said. ""It's different when you learn something and do it rather than research something and then write about it."" 

Another difficult aspect the veterans encountered was remembering how to be a civilian again and connecting with peers.  

Dillenburg in particular suffered from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder after his return to the United States, which at times made it hard for him to concentrate in class.  

""I was the one sitting in the front row in classes, not because I was really interested, but because I had to block out everyone else who was there,"" Dillenburg said. ""I was used to having my senses keyed up to what was around me, so anytime someone moved or made a noise, I would want to look."" 

When asked what advice they had for incoming student veterans, Warden encouraged them to join Vets For Vets while Kapinos advised them to get involved with other students and campus organizations.  

""Don't isolate yourselves with other vets. A big part of the process is to get yourself out there and talk to people,"" Kapinos said.