Spring ball kicks off

Spring ball kicks off: Senior quarterback Dustin Sherer will be competing with three other signal callers for a starting spot.

Spring ball kicks off

Many questions surround Wisconsin, a team that last season lost six games for the first time since 2003, as it begins spring camp. 

Because of graduation and the inability of returning players to separate themselves from their teammates, position battles will be the overwhelming theme of spring practice. Nearly every position on the field is up for grabs, including quarterback. 

Last season, the Badgers received mixed results from quarterbacks Allan Evridge and Dustin Sherer. Sherer will return next season as a senior, but will face competition in practice to regain his starting role. 

Head coach Bret Bielema does not seem to be leaning one way or another toward a quarterback, and mentioned all four signal-callers when asked about the competition. 

""The quarterback position is wide open,"" Bielema said. ""Obviously [Sherer] will have the biggest amount of experience coming into practice."" 

Despite Sherer having a considerable advantage, being the only quarterback on the roster to start for Wisconsin, Bielema hinted that if he does not clearly separate himself from the other quarterbacks, the Badgers may be inclined to give the job to a younger player. 

""For him to be a senior and to be in the position that he's in, he's got to play at a level that's way above everyone else to hold that position,"" Bielema said. 

Since the departure of John Stocco after 2006, Wisconsin has waited until fall camp to make its decision on its starting quarterback in each of the last two years. And since Stocco started as a junior during the 2005 season, only seniors have started at the position. 

On the defensive side of the ball, Wisconsin will graduate six starters, including three defensive linemen and two linebackers. Along with senior Jaevery McFadden, Bielema mentioned juniors Blake Sorensen and Culmer St. Jean as potential starters at linebacker. 

As for the defensive line, Bielema discussed senior Dan Moore and sophomores Brendan Kelly and J.J. Watt as players in the mix for playing time next season, but much of the unit remains untested.  

""Really everybody is unproven,"" Bielema said. 

The secondary will return the most experience for Wisconsin, but inconsistency from the unit in a number of areas last season has opened the door for internal competition. Senior Shane Carter entered last season as the Badgers' starting free safety but lost his job to fellow senior Chris Maragos. Sophomore Mario Goins, who started Wisconsin's first game against Akron, is currently suspended. And sophomore Aaron Henry, who received playing time at cornerback as a freshman during the 2007 season sat out last season due to injury. 

""Aaron Henry is a good football player, so I think he'll be able to find himself on to the field,"" Bielema said. 

One position the Badgers are hoping to receive stability at is running back. P.J. Hill, who started every game last season, elected to forego his final year at Wisconsin to pursue a career in the NFL, but John Clay will return as a sophomore after showing flashes of brilliance his freshman season. 

""Last year I felt as the season went along we kept trying to give him more and more responsibilities. At certain points of the year [Clay] embraced them and really stepped forward,"" Bielema said.