Relocating Brothers benefits all downtown

After opening its doors over 15 years ago, Brothers Bar & Grill at the corner of Lake Street. and University Avenue could well be in its last few months of occupation.  

The first Brothers location was founded in La Crosse in 1990 , with the Madison location opening three years later. The franchise has exploded since then. 

The Madison location is one of the Fortney Brothers' 17 bars throughout the Midwest, and is best known for their drink specials, woodwork and pitcher parties. The Big Ten icon can be found within a short distance of seven of the 11 campuses. 

Founding brothers Marc and Eric Fortney have been quick to point out that not a single one of their locations has closed its doors since opening. They may not be able to use this line anymore if the East Campus Gateway Plan goes ahead. 

The Brothers topic came up multiple times last week in several pre-lecture discussions. ""I can't believe they are tearing it down,"" seemed to be the most common sentiment. I, for one, won't be sad to see the place go. 

Aside from the fact that the music selection is subpar (think love child of a Will Smith-Toby Keith hookup), the proposed alternative is worth the sacrifice without a doubt.  

The UW School of Music plans to open a $38 million, 56,000 square-foot facility. A main hall will be able to seat 800 patrons, and a separate recital hall will accommodate an additional 350. This facility would sit directly on the site of the current Brothers Bar & Grill. 

An outdoor sculpture garden would highlight the outdoor area to the west of the new music performance center. The garden would be part of the Chazen Art Museum's addition that will include an enclosed, bridge-like walkway connecting it to the current museum.  

The UW School of Music consistently places within the top 5 percent of United States music schools. Its facilities, however, lag far behind its academic rankings. 

The current music halls in the Humanities building are as sterile as they are acoustically unsound. Students may not realize it, but the UW School of Music hosts more than 300 live music performances every year, which makes it the state's largest provider of music performances outside of Milwaukee.  

""We can make sure these halls become beautiful recording facilities,"" UW School of Music Director John Schaffer said in an interview with the Wisconsin Alumni Association. ""I really want to keep Wisconsin on the forefront of this, so five or ten years down the road, we can be a national leader in the production and distribution of this recorded art form."" 

The entire surrounding area would benefit financially from an influx of concertgoers. An increase in foot traffic also would help fill much of the empty retail space at University Square. 

Curt Brink, owner of The Brink Lounge on East Washington Avenue, had planned to open a $4 million restaurant and sports bar at the corner across from Gordon Commons, but financing issues have kept the project on hold. Field Pass, with its two-story indoor waterfall and multiple service bars, would be a great trade-off for Brothers Bar & Grill. 

Although students may be sad to say goodbye to the rock-bottom drink specials for which Brothers is well known, the surrounding area has more than enough bars to satisfy their thirst.  

As of right now, no closing date has been set, and both sides continue to argue their case in court. If forced to move out, the Fortneys will be allowed to transfer their liquor license to a new location as long as the Alcohol License Review Committee approves the measure. 

Madhatters' regulars were upset when University Square forced it to close down in 2005, but their new facility is much nicer than the old one. A new Brothers location will surely be an upgrade as well. 

Tom Hart is a senior majoring in history. Please send responses to opinion@dailycardinal.com.