In WCHA playoffs, rematch with Mavericks looms large

In WCHA playoffs, rematch with Mavericks looms large: Senior forward Tom Gorowsky had two goals and two assists the last time Wisconsin faced off against Minnesota State. The Minnesota native has scored 11 goals of his 18 career goals this season.

The Wisconsin men's hockey team will look to defend home ice against Minnesota State in a best-of-three series to start the WCHA playoffs this weekend.  

Coming off a strong win against North Dakota that ended a five-game winless streak, the Badgers are focused on carrying the momentum from that win into the postseason.  

""What we did out there [against North Dakota], and the intensity and how we competed, those are things that are going to help us play the way we need to play this weekend,"" head coach Mike Eaves said. 

""They play all the time like the way you need to play a playoff game, which is hard [and] gritty,"" junior forward Blake Geoffrion said of the Sioux. ""If we just keep doing that and playing the way we are playing, we will be just fine."" 

Geoffrion could play a big role in determining whether or not Wisconsin has success this weekend. After missing the North Dakota series with a leg injury, Eaves said Geoffrian is probably going to play against Minnesota State.  

Eaves and Geoffrion spent extra time on the ice after the Badgers' Tuesday practice, conditioning the forward for a series in which he could play three games in three days. Eaves said his progress was ""encouraging.""  

The last time Wisconsin faced Minnesota State was just two weeks ago, and it showcased some of the Badgers' biggest shortcomings in their February cold streak.  

In both games against the Mavericks Feb. 27-28, Wisconsin coughed up a late lead by allowing a third period power-play goal, and ended up with just one point from the series after a 4-3 overtime loss and 3-3 tie.  

""In our books, we played pretty well,"" Eaves said about the Minnesota State series. ""We take away from that series that we have got to find that little extra."" 

Senior forward Tom Gorowsky said the Badgers learned as a team that they have to finish games just as strong as they start them.  

""We can't just get a lead and think the game is over,"" he said. ""They came back both nights … we have got to make sure we are ready every time, every second of the game."" 

One of the big reasons why Wisconsin was able to overcome those issues was the strong play from their special teams and freshman forward Derek Stepan.  

The Badgers' penalty kill successfully turned North Dakota away five times and will have another challenge against Minnesota State, which comes into the game boasting the No. 8 powerplay in the nation. 

Stepan played a major part in killing off those North Dakota power plays by racking up a pair of shorthanded goals on the same Wisconsin penalty Saturday, giving the Badgers a lead they kept for the rest of the game. 

Eaves praised Stepan for his ability to soak up hockey knowledge and understand the game, something Geoffrion attributed to Stepan's dedication.  

""He loves the game of hockey,"" Geoffrion said. ""He's what we refer to in hockey as a rink rat. He's always around the rink, coming here early, staying late, he's always up to come to the rink."" 

Wisconsin will face off against Minnesota State Friday, Saturday and, if necessary, Sunday at 7 p.m.