House fellows resign, leave students baffled

House fellows resign, leave students baffled:

The third UW-Madison student to resign from a university house fellow position this year moved out of Kronshage Hall Thursday, leaving residents temporarily unmonitored. 

A source, who asked to remain anonymous, said he was a former house fellow in Kronshage but resigned halfway through last semester. He said an additional house fellow recently resigned from Witte Hall as well. 

The former Kronshage employee said the house fellows felt ""forced"" to resign because they failed to uphold the strict policies the Kronshage Residence Life Coordinator and Area Coordinator desired. Multiple UW-Madison housing authorities refused to comment on the reasons for the rumored resignations. 

Tim Knoespel, a UW-Madison freshman Kronshage resident, said he heard rumors the former house fellow may have been in trouble for having been drinking on Halloween night. 

The former house fellow said he is of legal age to drink and his superiors simply said it was ""the wrong move."" 

""If he hadn't resigned, I don't think they should have considered firing him, because he was a good house fellow,"" Knoespel said of his former house fellow. ""He related to us well, and he acted like he cared about us all."" 

Sophomore Maggie Thoreson, a UW-Madison Kronshage resident, said when her house heard he was ""backed into a corner to resign,"" the residents approached the Kronshage RLC and petitioned to get him back on the hall staff. 

""[The RLC] didn't even want to give us five minutes of his time,"" Thoreson said. 

Following his departure, the former house fellow said residents of the house ""went crazy,"" ignoring other house fellows and even drinking in the hallways. 

""All types of shenanigans were going on,"" Thoreson said. 

Although the house now has a new house fellow, Knoespel said he resented not having a house fellow for the second half of the first semester. 

""I felt like I wasn't getting all the services I was paying for,"" he said. 

The former house fellow said he expects the residents in another Kronshage house to rebel similarly after Thursday's resignation. 

He said he is frustrated with University Housing for ""letting go of all their best house fellows"" for upholding policy in different ways. 

University Housing officials refused to comment on plans to fill the remaining Kronshage house fellow position for the rest of the semester.