Forum urges student dialogue on sex assault

forum: Dean of Students Lori Berquam directs questions from the audience to panelists at a forum held to address sexual assaults on campus Tuesday. The forum was open to all of the UW-Madison community.

Over 50 UW-Madison community members attended a forum about sexual assault on campus Tuesday.  

Dean of Students Lori Berquam hosted the discussion as a reaction to stories The Badger Herald ran about alleged sexual assaults on campus. However, as intended, the forum broadened its focus to all sexual assaults on campus, only touching briefly on the published allegations.  

Ally Cruickshank, chair of Promoting Awareness Victim Empowerment, said the recent allegations published in The Badger Herald brought extra attention to an issue that had always existed more quietly on campus.  

This is something that occurs much more often than people like to think,"" she said. ""I think the particular allegations were so uncomfortable because it's so close to home. You get drunk, you hook up with people."" 

Panelists said students can prevent sexual assaults by opening a dialogue among peers. 

""You have to light a fire under yourself to have these conversations with other people,"" said Cruickshank. ""We need to change things that are simple and small, because they mushroom up into this huge issue."" 

Panelists also said it is important for the university to unite to change the campus atmosphere concerning sexual assault.  

""The things that are really going to challenge masculinity and identity issues are about personal change,"" Kelly Anderson, director of the Rape Crisis Center, said. ""An online module isn't going to change 15 years of learning what it means to be a man in this society, but it will show what we stand for as a campus."" 

Sol Grosskopf, safety coordinator for the Associated Students of Madison, urged students to give input to student organizations that address sexual assault. 

""Students are the best resource we have on campus,"" he said. ""Students know the areas on campus that need more help. They know individuals that need help. They need to tell organizations on campus what differences should be made."" 

The U.S. Department of Justice and the Office on Violence Against Women awarded UW-Madison a three-year $300,000 grant earlier this year.  

Carmen Hotvedt, violence prevention specialist for University Health Services who is directing the distribution of grant funds, said one of its main goals is to address sexual assaults.  

""I don't expect this to be the last time we talk about sexual assault and violence,"" Berquam said. ""I hope you will take what you heard here today and engage your roommates and housemates in talking about this issue.