Dehn, DeFilippo qualify for NCAA regionals in Palo Alto

Dehn, DeFilippo qualify for NCAA regionals in Palo Alto: Sophomore sprinter Chas DeMers finished seventh in the 200 meters at Stanford

The Wisconsin men's and women's track and field teams each competed in the Stanford Invitational this past Friday and Saturday in Palo Alto, Calif. 

Sophomore Robert Dehn and freshman Mickey DeFilippo posted the most impressive results on the men's side, each qualifying for the NCAA Mideast Regional with their marks. Dehn threw 214 feet, 6 inches in the javelin to secure sixth place, while DeFilippo finished fourth in the pole vault with a height of 16'6"". Both scores give each player a spot in the NCAA Mideast Regional Championships, to be held the last weekend of May in Louisville, Ky. 

The other men's field result was an 11th place finish in the discus by junior Rory Linder, with a throw of 148', 4"". 

On the track, two UW teammates competed in the 200 meters. Sophomore Chas DeMers finished seventh with a time of 21.76 seconds, while freshman Brady Hammon finished 11th at 21.87 seconds. Also, Wisconsin's entry in the 4x400-meter relay finished third with a time of 3:15.82. 

The men's team will again head to a warm weather destination next weekend, as they are scheduled to compete in the Jim Clark Shootout in Tucson, Ariz. 

On the women's side, senior Sarah Hurley finished 17th of 36 in the 3000 meter steeplechase with a time of 10:32.53. Junior Maggie Collison also competed in the event, finishing 30th at 11:11.11. 

The women will take a break from competition until a scheduled trip to Westwood, Calif., to take part in the Rafer Johnson/Jackie Joyner Kersee Invite in two weeks. 

—uwbadgers.com contributed to this report.