Budget cuts waste cleanup funding

Gov. Jim Doyle's proposed budget calls for the elimination of grants for Wisconsin Clean Sweep, a program for cleaning up the state's toxic waste. 

""Recycling grant programs will also be eliminated, including the Clean Sweep grant program,"" the budget document says. 

Clean Sweep provides subsidies to local governments to allow for the removal of hazardous wastes from agricultural, residential and business communities. The program relies on grant funds to pay for the majority of disposal costs. 

Eric Uram, conservation chair of the John Muir chapter of the Sierra Club, is concerned that eliminating funding for Clean Sweep will result in more toxic materials being disposed of improperly.  

""We should be looking to make sure we give everybody the opportunity that we can to make sure that these things are treated in a way that's safe,"" Uram said. 

According to Uram, hazardous materials such as car batteries, paints, solvents and gasoline could contribute negatively to pollution levels in the long run if there is not a safe and simple way to remove them. 

Uram said many people have the option to pay for the removal of their wastes, but these opportunities are scarce in rural communities and can be pricey. In addition, the cost of cleaning improperly disposed waste could exceed the amount of funding that Clean Sweep requires. 

""We would hope that the state would make every effort available to people to allow them to get hazardous materials out of their homes, by preventing dollars to go to those programs it's only going to create more pollution,"" Uram said. 

Representatives from Doyle's office could not be reached for comment.