Wisconsin drops first four games of the season in the Cathedral City Kickoff

valyncia: Wisconsin senior outfielder Raphael Valyncia and the Badgers came out of California empty-handed this past weekend by dropping four games.

The Wisconsin softball team (0-4-0) took the field this past weekend for the first time in 2009 in the Cathedral City Kickoff tournament in Palm Springs, Calif., with the aspirations of a new season at hand. 

Unfortunately, they left the golden state with four tough losses, including two shut-outs and a disastrous collapse in the final game Sunday. 

The Badgers opened play Friday evening against the No. 12 Bulldogs of Fresno State. In the third inning, Fresno State sophomore Andrea Ortega hit a three-run double, putting the Bulldogs ahead for good, 3-0. Wisconsin could not get its offense going, as thirteen batters struck out, and the team left five runners on base. Fresno State added a security run later on, winning 4-0. 

Wisconsin could not fret over the loss for long, as they had another contest that evening against Oregon State. The Beavers scored the first four runs of the game and led 4-0 after five innings. 

In the sixth inning the Badgers finally got on the scoreboard, scoring three runs off hits by junior Letty Olivarez and senior Nichole Whaley. Olivarez and Whaley, both natives of California, brought the Badgers within striking distance for the first time in the tournament. 

In the end, Oregon State junior Kelly Dyer struck out five batters in two innings of work to prevent a Wisconsin comeback, and the Badgers lost 4-3. 

After two losses in two games, the Badgers got a much-needed break when their first Saturday game with the Matadors of Cal State Northridge was rained out. But the Badgers could not rest for long, with a Saturday night matchup with No. 20 Long Beach State. 

The 49ers of LBSU scored early and often, riding home runs by junior Kristen Pocock and senior Jennifer Griffin. The Badgers never scored, losing 7-0. 

Wisconsin looked to end their tournament play on a high note as they faced off with the Broncos of Boise State, a university in its first year of softball competition. The Badgers roared out to an impressive 5-1 lead after only two innings. Senior Nichole Whaley and sophomore Jennifer Krueger got the offense going early, with Krueger getting an RBI-single and a sacrifice bunt, and Whaley scoring a two-run single. 

Over the course of the next four innings the Broncos would come charging back, taking a commanding lead of 12-6 after pitching struggles from senior Leah Vanevenhoven, sophomore Kristyn Hansen and Olivarez. Olivarez had started the game and later replaced Hansen to finish the fifth inning. 

More offense from Abney, Olivarez and Whaley tied the game 12-12. But in the bottom of the seventh, Boise State won the game on a walk-off hit with the bases loaded, ending an exciting yet crushing game for the Badgers - and giving Boise State only its second victory in program history. 

If the Badgers want to get their season on the right track, they must look to more consistent play from Olivarez and Vanevenhoven. The junior-senior duo comprises the heart of Wisconsin's pitching staff. Olivarez, who surrendered high-scoring innings against Fresno State and Boise State, must work to produce more quality starts as the season progresses. 

Olivarez and senior Theresa Boruta must ignite the offense for the Badgers, after Wisconsin lost its two top hitters, Joey Daniels and Lynn Anderson, in the offseason. Daniels and Lynn played and started in all 55 games for Big Red during the 2008 season. 

Olivarez and Boruta cannot carry the team alone offensively. The Badgers also return a pair of infielders, sophomore Livi Abney and senior Alexis Garcia, who played in every game last season as well, but whose offensive numbers were down. Abney and Garcia must work to lower their strikeouts and raise their averages if the Badgers are to compete this season. 

The Badgers will look for their first victory of the season as they prepare for the Bama Bash tournament next weekend in Tuscaloosa, Ala., Feb. 13-15. 

- uwbadgers.com contributed to this report.