UW to host first Dance Marathon

UW Dance Marathon Logo: The UW Dance Marathon will being Friday, Feb. 27 and last through Saturday, Feb. 28 at the Shell.

UW to host first Dance Marathon

Directors of the first campus-wide UW Dance Marathon are encouraging all students and community members to join the fundraiser this weekend. 

The event will take place from Feb. 27 at 9 p.m. through Feb. 28 at 9 a.m. The 12-hour-long dance marathon will work to raise money to benefit the American Family Children's Hospital.  

The money raised affects so many lives. The lives that we lead are so much easier compared to the sick children who struggle each day just to live,"" Nichole Rupe, executive chair of the UW Dance Marathon, said in an e-mail. ""We strive to create awareness of AFCH and positively impact the lives of all who choose to participate.""  

According to Adam Wallenfang, secretary of UW Dance Marathon, the Dance Marathon's theme is FTK, For The Kids. The event is entirely dedicated to benefiting the children of AFCH.  

""FTK has become a monsieur for the dance marathon,"" Wallenfang said. ""The three little letters are the constant reminders of why we are doing what we are doing. It's always reminded that it's for the kids."" 

Wallenfang said the main goal is to host the best possible event and to raise the most amount of money, possibly over $50,000. 

Participants can raise $100 to join the entire event or $20 for two hours to meet the kids, families and hospital staff as well as to enjoy performances by live bands, sketch comedies, the Madhatters and an '80s dance group.  

According to Rupe, the event will take place across the entire nation. The combined events have previously raised over $125 million each year for local children's hospitals.  

Several other Big Ten campuses participate in Dance Marathon events, including Northwestern University, University of Michigan and Indiana University. However, Pennsylvania State University initiated the first Dance Marathon in 1973. The university recently completed their 2009 event and raised over $7 million.  

According to Jenny Howard, executive board of the University of Michigan's Dance Marathon, it is the school's 12th year hosting the event. She said the university has raised over $2.4 million since then.  

Howard said several Big Ten campuses have been discussing the possibility of starting a conference Dance Marathon event in the future.