Tibetans march in mourning

Members of the Wisconsin Tibetan Association marched from Library Mall to the state Capitol Wednesday to mourn Tibetans who died last year while protesting Chinese control of the region. 

Although Wednesday marked the beginning of the Tibetan New Year festivities, Tibetans all over the world decided to make the day a solemn occasion instead of taking part in the usual celebrations. 

Mourners walked down State Street Wednesday, holding signs condemning the Chinese government and reciting a prayer in memory of the dead. 

""Instead of celebrating the Tibetan new year, we are actually trying to show the world that we remember our dead brothers and sisters and [those] who are still suffering in Tibet under Chinese occupation,"" WTA President Thubden Sangha said. 

Shaoo Tahsi of Tibet said the march was meant to show ""solidarity for those who have suffered with the Chinese,"" citing the government's imprisonment of hundreds of peaceful protestors. 

The Chinese government, which has ordered additional troops to subdue protests in Tibet and has cut off foreign tourists to the area, is under fire from not only Tibetans, but also Amnesty International and the U.S. State Department for its poor human rights conditions. 

Sangha said he thinks the United States can do a ""tremendous"" amount to assist the Tibetan people, but unfortunately economic conditions take precedence over human rights issues. He said Tibetans are not asking for independence from China, but want more autonomy while leaving foreign affairs up to the Chinese government. 

""Basic human rights, that's all we're asking, and that the Chinese are not willing to give us,"" Sangha said.