Students vote against ASM Constitution

computer: 61 percent of students voted 'no' to ASM's new constitution

Students vote against ASM Constitution

The Associated Students of Madison's proposed new constitution failed to pass the student body Tuesday.  

According to Katherine Tondrowski, Student Elections Commission chair, 15 percent of the student body voted in total and 61 percent voted against the constitution. 

According the Vote No Coalition"" blog, 18 student organizations opposed the passing of the constitution.  

""We're not surprised by the results,"" said Chynna Haas, who represented the Vote No Coalition on several occasions. ""We knew there was significant issues with the document that was being presented, and we were able to gather a very diverse and strong coalition of students that were committed to defeating the constitution."" 

John Tackett, member of the ASM Constitutional Committee, said he was disappointed with the results. 

""The current structure just doesn't work to benefit students the way it had in the past,"" Tackett said. ""People really into grassroots organizing have gone to other organizations and new students have skills of communication and coordination. The current structure doesn't work to serve those skill sets."" 

Although the constitution did not pass, both sides of the debate were happy about the voter turnout.  

""This is one of the highest voter turnouts in a long time, so at least students were having their voices heard,"" Tackett said. ""I'd like to see the conversation continue, so that hopefully we can come up with a better product."" 

ASM began rewriting their constitution last May in an effort to address concerns with accountability, participation and efficiency. The new constitution would have implemented a President, Board of Directors, and a Senate. The Constitutional Committee publicized multiple drafts, held 12 listening sessions and passed the constitution through Student Council before the student body defeated it.  

Despite the constitution's failure, Wright said ASM will continue reform efforts.  

""A loss isn't a signal that ASM doesn't need to change on some level,"" he said. ""It's clear on both sides that students think ASM should be reformed."" 

Wright said ASM will not be able to put another version of the constitution to a vote this semester, so any constitutional changes would have to be taken up by the next session. However, he said ASM would possibly make changes to current bylaws. 

""I don't think we'll get the real reform and great strides forward that we could have,"" Tackett said. ""But there are definitely some things we can do, and I think we'll be able to use the work we've done to move forward.