Sluggers head down south to face 'Bama

Leah Vanevenhoven: Senior pitcher Leah Vanevenhoven led the Badgers with 31 starts and 48 appearances last season but finished with a 5-24 record.

Sluggers head down south to face 'Bama

The Wisconsin softball team (0-4) looks to notch its first victory of the 2009 campaign as it prepares for the Bama Bash Tournament this weekend at the University of Alabama in Tuscaloosa. 

If the Badgers want to jump-start their season this weekend, they will need to be on top of their game. Wisconsin will take on three solid teams, including a game against the host school, the Crimson Tide of Alabama - currently the No. 1 team in the nation. 

For the Badgers and the Crimson Tide, the early weeks of the 2009 season have been a tale of two teams. 

Wisconsin will try to bounce back from the missed opportunities of the Cathedral City Kickoff tournament last weekend. The Badgers dropped four straight games to schools from the west coast, including two top-25 schools in Fresno State and Long Beach State.  

Meanwhile, Alabama comes to the tournament riding a four-game winning streak. After destroying its first three opponents, the Tide handed the Jaguars of South Alabama, a 7-1 thumping. Alabama outscored its first four opponents 35-5. 

Alabama boasts solid pitching, solid hitting and an excellent head coach to guide them. Junior Charlotte Morgan and redshirt freshman Amanda Locke lead the pitching staff. Morgan and senior Brittany Rogers both had batting averages over .400 last season, and with sophomore Whitney Larsen and freshman Cassandra Reilly-Boccia, comprise the heart of Alabama's lineup. To top it off, Patrick Murphy, the Crimson Tide's coach, was added to the pool of candidates for the head coaching spot of the U.S. Women's National Team. 

One aspect of the Crimson Tide's game that Wisconsin can capitalize on is Alabama's unfinished business."" Since the Crimson Tide score a lot of runs, they also leave a lot of runners stranded on the base paths. During the South Alabama Kickoff Classic, Alabama scored 35 runs but left 30 runners on base. If Wisconsin pitchers produce quality starts and the Badgers limit their errors, they can prevent Alabama from extending innings and keep the game close. 

The Badgers will also take on Notre Dame (0-0) this weekend. The Fighting Irish, though not ranked, have received some top-25 votes. 

Notre Dame is an experienced team. With only four freshmen, however, the Fighting Irish have not played a single game yet this season. 

The Badgers will also play the East Carolina Pirates (3-1) twice. The Pirates outscored Middle Tennessee State and Virginia collectively, 12-2 in the ECU Invitational. However, on the very next day and against the same teams, East Carolina needed extra innings to top MTSU, and then was destroyed by Virginia in a 12-1 debacle. 

After a shaky start to the season, the tournament gives Wisconsin pitchers a chance to work on their game. Junior Letty Olivarez, senior Leah Vanevenhoven and sophomore Kristyn Hansen will anchor the Badger pitching staff. 

The tournament runs from Feb. 13-15. The Badgers will open play against East Carolina Friday. Saturday brings No. 1 Alabama and a rematch with East Carolina. Wisconsin closes tournament play Sunday against the Fighting Irish. 

- uwbadgers.com contributed to this report.