McBain steps up as a leader

Jamie McBain: Junior defnseman Jamie McBain is the Badger's top scorer this season and has been nominated for the Hobey Baker award.

McBain steps up as a leader

His mantra on leadership is relatively simple: Make sure that my play carries more so than my voice."" 

When that play includes two crucial goals, a pair of primary assists and setting the winning tone in an important series sweep against an archrival, it sets a pretty good example to follow. 

That is what junior Badger assistant captain and defenseman Jamie McBain did against Minnesota in the team's last series and is just one example of how he has grown into a team leader this season.  

""It's just been a role I've obviously taken a huge honor in,"" McBain said. ""[Junior captain] Blake [Geoffrion]'s more of the vocal leader, and I just kind of go about it and make sure my actions speak louder than words."" 

McBain has moved into this leadership role after captain Ben Street went down with an injury early in the season. At that time, the Badgers were mired in a difficult start, failing to win in their first seven games. 

As the season progressed, McBain's play, as well as the Badger's fortunes, steadily improved.  

""He was almost forced into [a leadership role], but he didn't have to force it too much because his play allowed him just to kind of ease into it,"" Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said. ""Because of the way he was playing, he could say things and, again, there's that credibility issue that was so strong from him."" 

Eaves went on to say that against Minnesota he saw a different level of fiery competitiveness from the usually reserved McBain.  

Offense has always been McBain's strength, as he has been the top-scoring defender on the Badgers for the past three years. This season he took that to a new level leading the team in goals and assists, and scoring more points per game than any other blue-liner in the country.  

His coaches and teammates, however, believe that his on-ice impact goes far beyond points and assists.  

""I think the highest compliment that you can give a player is the fact that he makes the players around him better, and that's where Jamie has grown to now,"" Eaves said. ""He becomes another coach when he plays like that '¦ It's easier for Jamie to be a leader when he's playing the way he is, because he can lead by example, and when he says something it holds so much more credibility."" 

That leadership may be most evident when the Badgers go on the power play. There, he controls the flow of the offense, finding teammates from the point and often firing slap shots that get tipped by teammates or slip past opposing goaltenders. 

""It's an unreal skill he has. It's a lot tougher than he makes it look. He makes it look so easy, does it all the time,"" said sophomore defenseman Ryan McDonagh, who paired with McBain last season. ""He just comes across that blue line and he always has his head up, and that's the key because he's finding guys left and right and putting the puck on net."" 

The Badger power play is the best in the WCHA, scoring on 21.9 percent of its chances. That is why McBain leads the league in power-play points and Geoffrion, who centers the top power-play unit, has eight goals with the man advantage.  

""Being the top guys up there, I'm kind of the quarterback,"" McBain said. ""I love that, just to have that ability to be able to control the play up there and kind of decide what happens. That's something I take a lot of pride in, and it's worked out for us."" 

McBain was all but born into the sport of hockey, as his father, Bernie, runs a hockey training program in Minnesota. His father also helped get him to Shattuck-St. Mary's, a Minnesota high school known for its stellar hockey team. 

""My dad gave me a hockey stick when I was about two, and ever since then it was something I've loved doing,"" McBain said. ""He's the reason that I'm here '¦ Just the sacrifices that him and my mom, family have made to make sure that I'd have the ice and the abilities to go out there and work on my skills, just become the best player that I can."" 

He then moved on to the U.S. Under-18 national team, where he earned a gold medal in a world championship tournament and first met Geoffrion, who described him as tall, skinny and quiet. The duo have developed into a potent scoring combination, as Geoffrion often stands in front of the net and screens for or tips McBain's shots. 

In 2006, McBain was drafted as the 63rd pick in the 2006 NHL draft. He said that being drafted lifted a weight off his shoulders and allowed him to relax and focus on developing as a Badger. 

McBain considered leaving Wisconsin after his sophomore year but came back to try to work on his game.  

""I think he just found the extra year gave him some more experience. The extra summer gave him some more strength and conditioning,"" Eaves said. ""And he just got on the ice and says, 'I can see and do what I need to do and get it done.' And that level of  

confidence does wonders for an athlete."" 

For his scoring prowess and leadership this year, McBain was nominated for college hockey's most prestigious individual award, the Hobey Baker. 

As the Badgers come down the stretch with six games left in the regular season, McBain will play an important role in Wisconsin's fortunes. Despite his individual successes, however, the best way to measure McBain as a player may be the way his teammates respond to and respect him.  

""[Playing with him] is a pleasure,"" junior forward John Mitchell said. ""I think his talents and skill portrayed on the ice is just something that everyone can learn from and watch and mimic to try to improve their game. He has great hands, good vision for the ice, he's really smart at the game.""