Common Council approves 50 cent bus fare increase

bus: The City Council overturned the decision made by the Transit and Parking Commission and raised the bus fare another 25 cents Tuesday.

The Common Council voted 11 to 8 to approve the bus fare increase from $1.50 to $2.00 at Tuesday nights meeting, overturning the former decision made by the Transit and Parking Commission to increase the fare 25 cents.  

The current bus fare sits at $1.50 and there has been much controversy over the amount to which the fare should be increased to meet the city's budget. The TPC approved a fare increase of 25 cents on January 13, resulting in a bus fare of $1.75. Tuesday's meeting debated whether or not to overturn the decision made by the TPC in order to increase the fare 50 cents, resulting in a fare of $2.00.  

The $2.00 fare was proposed by Mayor Dave Cieslewicz and was approved by the Common Council by a 12 to 8 vote in January.  

Metro Transit general Manager Chuck Kamp explained the recent investment in more hybrid buses for the city cannot be transferred over to a lower fare. The funding category for the hybrid buses is capital funding,"" said Kamp. ""The stimulus budget cannot be used to reduce the fare because it is operational funding needed."" 

Many Madison residents voiced their opinions on the proposed bus increase at the public hearing.  

A Union Street resident said the mayor and city officials are ""asking those who are least able to pay to solve the budget problem."" He also said, ""Nine out of ten people surveyed disproved of the increase because it would be extremely hard for them."" 

Other opponents who spoke at the public hearing cited they believed the rise in fares would decrease ridership and ultimately hurt the Madison Metro and the city budget.  

A bus driver of the Madison Metro spoke in favor of the $2.00 fare saying the increase will lead to better service. ""Quicker trips for riders can be accomplished with the increase because we will be able to accommodate more routes to get people to their destination faster,"" he said.  

The new fare will be implemented April 5, 2009.