Buffing up the Brein

Brein: 'The Brein' dreams of future muscles.

Buffing up the Brein

We all know a guy who could use some beefing up. You may even be that guy. This semester, over a 12-week span, we will be taking one such man, Ben Breiner (br-EYE-ner), and attempting to strap some muscle onto his gaunt frame. In performing this social experiment, we hope to not only boost Ben's health, athleticism and confidence, but also provide valuable health and fitness insight and a realistic, average-guy's step-by-step guide to getting jacked.  

Meet 'the Brein' 

Ben Breiner is not your average guy. He slinked into The Daily Cardinal offices a scrawny, unknown sophomore from Berkeley, Calif., with little more than a passion for sports coupled with near encyclopedic knowledge. Think a youthful version of ESPN's John Clayton. A guy who hasn't actually gotten onto the field more than a couple times but can name every Super Bowl champion or NBA title winner since 1957 and will wax poetic about Jamar Fletcher's 1998 performance against Drew Brees at Camp Randall. Still scrawny, Breiner is now a senior majoring in economics and journalism and has risen to the ranks of The Daily Cardinal's sports editor and sports columnist. Breiner is affectionately known as the Brein"" - a powerful word defined by hours of milling somewhat aimlessly around the Cardinal office, indecipherably scrawled handwriting, an affinity for Sbarro cuisine, enthusiastic late-night dancing and a propensity for shrugging while muttering ""meh."" At the end of 12 weeks, our modest goal is to make the Brein equal parts John Clayton and John Clay. 

Brein's Vitals 

Height: 5'9"" 

Weight: 140 pounds, or so he claims  

Endurance: unknown 

Bench press: unknown 

Flexibility: ""pretty inflexible"" 

Heart rate: unknown 

Body fat percentage: unknown 

Water percentage: unknown 

Metabolic rate: unknown 

Overall attitude: optimistic 

Week One Goals 

-Set up meeting with nutritionist 

-Meet with personal trainer 

-Purchase muscle-building groceries 

-Develop and implement a workout routine 

Workout Jam of the Week 

Each week, Breiner will have a theme song especially tailored to his name to help him get motivated to meet the week's goals. 

This week: ""Eye of the Breiner,"" based off of Survivor's ""Eye of the Tiger."" 

Ask the Brein a question 

Each week, Brein will say a few words recapping the action and answering questions from readers. Got a question for the Brein? E-mail it to page2@dailycardinal.com. 

Quote of the Week: ""Meh.""