Border battle with Minnesota excites Badgers

mcbain: Wisconsin junior defender Jamie McBain leads the Badgers with 28 total points. He has an impressive 23 assists on the season.

When two of the most stories programs in men's hockey get together, the games almost always carry great importance. In this weekend's border battle, the stakes are no different.  

The Badgers will face off against No. 5 Minnesota this weekend, the second time the teams have met this season. The first time they played, Wisconsin earned its first points of the season with a tie, but Minnesota battered it 5-2 in the Saturday game. 

Coming into this matchup, however, it is the Gophers who are struggling, having lost four of their last six games. Wisconsin coaches are still wary of Minnesota, which is still one of the more talented teams in the WCHA. 

The way they want to play and the way they're capable of playing, we know,"" Wisconsin head coach Mike Eaves said. ""They skate, they have skill and that's been the same in our seven years here. I don't think it's changed ever. Even though they could be struggling right now, we still know the way they want to play, the way they'll try to play this weekend."" 

The UW roster features a number of Minnesota natives, many of who are excited to play against our hometown team.  

""It's awesome any time you get to go back there,"" said UW junior defenseman Jamie McBain, who hails from Faribault, Minn. ""Especially being a Minnesota kid, growing [up] that was the team I watched."" 

Eaves, however, feels that the Minnesotans on his team tend to get a little over-excited about the series.  

""History tells us that they try too hard,"" Eaves said. ""Our job as coaches is to say, 'just play, it's just another opponent.' That's easier said than done. Over the course of our seven years here, I've always felt that they guys from Minnesota they just grip that stick just a little tighter.""  

Despite possessing players like sophomore goaltender Alex Kangas and junior forward Ryan Stoa, who leads the conference in points per game, the Gophers are only tied for fourth in the conference standings.  

""On paper they're one of the strongest teams, and in the beginning of the year they played that way,"" Wisconsin senior goaltender Shane Connelly said. ""Every team hits rough patches and they're figuring their way through that now. They had really god success in the beginning of the year and now they're kind of stumbling through and trying to survive."" 

Wisconsin will counter with the third-best defense in the WCHA and an offense averaging 3.5 goals per game. McBain is the top scorer in a Badger attack featuring tremendous balance. The Wisconsin defenders lead the nation in blue line scoring, and any of the four forward lines can provide production on a given night.  

The 30 points McBain has on the season is nine more than any other Badger, putting him on pace to be just the fourth defenseman to lead Wisconsin in point scoring.  

Mariucci arena, the Gophers' home ice, has been trouble for Wisconsin in recent seasons. The Badgers are 0-3-1 in their last four games in Minnesota, a trend the players hope to reverse.  

""It's definitely a tough place to play,"" said sophomore defender and Minnesotan Ryan McDonagh. ""The fans are kind of right on top of you, definitely pretty loud and energetic. It's just the fact that it's such a good-fought rivalry with some good traditions."" 

The puck drops at 7 p.m. both nights. The Friday game will be broadcast on the Big Ten Network, with Saturday's contest being shown on Fox Sports Net.