Bohannon's re-emergence key to Wisconsin winning streak

Janon Bohannon: Junior guard Jason Bohannon has hit 15 of his last 27 3-point shots and came up big defensively against Ohio State Sunday.

Since Big Ten play began for the Badgers about two months ago, a noticeable trend evolved: strong correlation between junior guard Jason Bohannon's performance and the success of Wisconsin as a team. In the Badgers' seven conference victories, Bohannon converted over 55 percent of his field-goal attempts, but he shot only 33 percent from the field in their six defeats. The bottom line is that for Wisconsin to be successful, Bohannon has to put the ball in the basket. 

After consecutive 30-win seasons for  

Wisconsin and a Big Ten championship last season, the Badgers now find themselves in the middle of the pack in the conference. Two years ago, Wisconsin earned a No. 2 seed in the NCAA Tournament, and last year the Badgers attained a No. 3 seed. This season, Wisconsin is merely fighting for a berth into the field. 

Just as it has been an up-and-down  

season for Wisconsin, it has been a somewhat erratic season for the junior, as well. During Wisconsin's six-game losing streak in the Big Ten, Bohannon's shooting percentages were poor.  

Against Minnesota, Bohannon made five of 13 field-goal attempts; against Iowa, he converted two of nine, and in contests with Purdue and Illinois, Bohannon went one of five and one of seven from the field, respectively.  

From behind the arc, Bohannon made eight of 24 attempts, good for 33 percent. 

All the shots have been there throughout the season, [but] they haven't necessarily been falling,"" Bohannon said. 

In Wisconsin victories, however, the guard has put up strong shooting performances. Bohannon helped the Badgers halt their six-game losing streak by scoring 20 points and making six of nine field-goal attempts against Illinois.  

Last week against Iowa, Bohannon scored 15 points on five-of-eight shooting, and back in January, he led a rout over Northwestern by scoring 20 points and making eight of 12 field-goal tries. In Badger wins, Bohannon is 17 of 35 on 3-point attempts - nearly 50 percent. 

Assistant coach Howard Moore knows when Bohannon is successful: the entire Wisconsin squad has an easier time on the offensive end, especially last Wednesday against Iowa. 

""With [Bohannon] making shots [against Iowa], it made them very aware of that, and not too anxious to go help inside. We were getting some good cuts in the post in the second half, and we really put the game away,"" Moore said. 

In all but one of the Badgers' losses within the conference, Bohannon failed to eclipse the 50-percent mark from the field. And in all but one of Wisconsin's seven Big Ten victories, Bohannon has shot at least 50 percent.  

When Bohannon hits at least two 3-point field goals, the Badgers are 5-2. 

""His main scoring situation is shooting the three-ball, and once he can knock those down consistently, he opens up a lot of things,"" Moore said. 

Though he struggled shooting against Ohio State Sunday, Bohannon chased and hassled Buckeye sharpshooter Jon Diebler into a subpar performance. 

Wisconsin has five games, plus the Big Ten Tournament in March, to prove it is worthy of stamping its ticket to the NCAA Tournament. Whether they make the cut could bank on the jump shot of Bohannon.