Astrophysicist crashes dorm

World-renowned astrophysicist Neil deGrasse Tyson addressed residents of Chadbourne Residential College in their What Matters to Me and Why"" lecture series Monday afternoon before giving his lecture at the Memorial Union Theater that night. 

Tyson told the audience, about 60 members of the learning community, of the importance of being scientifically literate in the modern world - that is, not being actual astrophysicists, but coming to understand the basic scientific principles of the world in which they live. 

Tyson discussed several simple, intellectual experiments he tested on his own children, from teaching them how to read the temperature of water to discussing the existence of the tooth fairy. 

""No science achieves maturity until you have a system of measurement,"" he said. These types of inquiries are the subjects of his next book, which discusses how to raise scientifically literate children. 

Tyson also briefly discussed the roles of science and religion in society, and the misconceptions that arise in their complicated relationship. 

Despite Tyson's serious emphasis on science literacy, he managed to maintain his sense of humor. At one point during a brief question and answer session, Tyson light-heartedly scolded a member of the audience for beginning his question with the lackadaisical phrase ""Umm..."" 

He also entertained the crowd with his vivid descriptions of what fourth- and fifth-dimensional cubes would look like. 

Still, Tyson never stopped reiterating that society must continue to collectively hone its critical thinking skills in order to solve real-world problems. 

""The absence of science literacy is the end of a civilization,"" he said.