UW's Acacia house renovations put on hold

A proposal for extensive renovations to UW-Madison's Acacia fraternity house met a tied vote Monday night at the City of Madison Plan Commission meeting, and may go to the Common Council for further review. 

The Langdon Street fraternity house has been working with the Alexander Company to transform the upper levels of the 81-year-old house into apartments, as well as build an additional four-story apartment building in the parking lot. Together, these buildings would be completed for leasing in August 2009 and are to be called Vesta Apartments.  

Dan Peterson, communications director for Alexander Company, said the house was in need of some repairs, which would be completed at the same time as the new building. 

It's a fraternity house, so it's quite old and it's quite beat up,"" Peterson said. ""The same amenities that are going to be included in the new apartments are going to be in the existing house as well.""  

The new building would also have a lower parking garage and outdoor parking for mopeds and bicycles.  

Opponents to the renovations claim undesirable aesthetics ruin the charm of the neighborhood, and the size of the building hinders a small walkway from Langdon Street to the lake. Alderwoman Lauren Cnare, District 3, said her main concern was, ""lack of useable, open space."" 

The Alexander Company argues that it is within the guidelines of the Urban Design Commission, and has already made revisions to the plan. Further, they maintain that space at the apartment buildings is unnecessary, as this is an area of lots of widely used communal space, including State Street and Memorial Union.