Tough times may strengthen state

rtrtyr: Gov. Jim Doyle applauds at the State of the State Address Wednesday night, where he called for the state to come together and make more bipartisan efforts to overcome the tough economy.

Tough times may strengthen state

At a time of rising unemployment and a looming $5.4 billion budget deficit, Gov. Jim Doyle remained hopeful about Wisconsin's future in his annual State of the State Address Wednesday. 

As difficult as the realities are before us ... I know we can work together, meet any challenge and come through stronger than ever,"" Doyle said. 

In 2008, the state lost around 62,600 jobs, bringing the unemployment rate to 5.8 percent. The closure of the General Motors plant in Janesville, Wis., alone caused the loss of thousands of jobs. Doyle honored four of the workers from this plant, calling them ""four workers our economy needs."" 

Congress' economic stimulus package will be important in fixing the budget deficit, according to Doyle. 

To fill in the budget hole, Doyle said he would cut what is not needed, ""and unfortunately, some of what is needed."" He said education is not off-limits, but he will not allow cuts that ruin schools' integrity or make colleges and universities inaccessible for poorer families. 

Doyle called for bipartisan efforts from the Legislature to ""move the state forward"" and find solutions to its economic problems. 

""The last thing voters want from the Legislature is partisan bickering and inaction,"" Doyle said. ""And the great thing is that our best accomplishments have come when we have worked together."" He then highlighted some of Wisconsin's achievements in the last year, which include granting all children health-care coverage with BadgerCare Plus, passing the Great Lakes Compact, hosting the World Stem Cell Summit and responding successfully to summer flooding. 

""Clearly, there are tough times ahead, but let's remember what he have been able to do together just in the last year,"" he said. 

In the coming year, Doyle said the state should implement a smoking ban, toughen drunkendriving laws, address climate change and improve educational funding. 

Before closing his speech, Doyle honored Jeffery Skiles, the co-pilot of U.S. Airways Flight 1549, which landed safely in the Hudson River two weeks ago. 

State Sen. Fred Risser, D-Madison, said he thought the governor's approach was very realistic and agreed with his confidence that the state will make it through the current troubled times. 

""I've been around a while, and we've been in bad situations before, and we've always come through,"" Risser said. 

State Rep. John Nygren, R-Marinette, said he is optimistic to work with the governor to keep the government affordable to Wisconsin residents. 

""Times are tough, and we all recognize that,"" Nygren said.