Students celebrate inauguration across campus

Students across the UW-Madison campus gathered in groups and watched with excitement as Chief Justice Roberts swore President Barack Obama into office at the 44th inauguration ceremony Tuesday. 

The Multicultural Student Center hosted an inauguration watch party Tuesday at the MSC lounge in the Red Gym.  

Karen Bro, a UW-Madison junior present at the party, said she could feel the excitement in the room even before President Obama was sworn in. 

You could feel that something big was about to happen,"" she said. ""It's really special."" 

Several students said they were ready for change and looking forward to seeing what Obama will accomplish while in office. 

""I'm so excited for something new,"" Sofia Snow, a UW-Madison sophomore said. ""I can't remember a time when myself or my parents were actually excited for the new president."" 

Students also congregated in the Open Book Café in College Library to watch the event. Jacob Jurss, a UW-Madison sophomore who was at the library, said he had the opportunity to attend Grant Park on Election Day.  

""After seeing him being sworn in as well as being at the event in Grant Park, I can feel a change,"" he said. ""But, not just with myself and my ideals but within my community and the people around me."" 

Jurss said Obama will face many challenges in his first year as president but needs to continue to be an inspiration to the American people. 

Although many students missed the event because of scheduled classes, professor Lisa Cooper streamed Obama's speech during her English 215 class. Cooper said she felt the event was too historic for her students to miss.  

""I'm aware that for most of my students, this last election was probably the first one in which they were able to vote,"" she said. ""Irrespective of whom they may have voted for, I thought it was important to see the end, or the beginning, of that process."" 

According to Cooper, the event connected with many of the themes of her class, and she felt it would be a great way to start off the semester. 

Bryon Eagon, District 8 Alder candidate, attended the inauguration with several other UW-Madison students he met through his involvement with Students for Obama and College Democrats.  

""It was an amazing experience to be part of such a historic election,"" he said. ""President Obama's speech not only restored confidence and trust in government but also renewed faith in the spirit of the American people."" 

Eagon said although the election process is over, students can still continue to make a difference on campus. 

""Barack Obama's campaign for President has inspired so many people of our generation, and now to continue this bottom-up movement we must continue to be engaged in our communities through active participation and service,"" he said.