Provost drafts strategic framework document

UW-Madison's Secretary of the Faculty made plans Monday to discuss the university's strategic framework draft for 2009-2014 at their next meeting. 

The draft describes administrators' vision for the future, citing UW-Madison as an institution which will become a model public university of the twenty-first century - serving as a resource and working to enhance the quality of life in our state, the nation, and the world."" 

According to David Musolf, secretary of the faculty, the Office of the Provost originally drafted the manuscript. 

""The Provost has been having conversations about it with many people, including the university committee,"" he said.  

The document outlines the university's goals for focusing on its core mission, its public purpose and its global research.  

""[It] is an outgrowth of the reaccredidation process,"" Musolf said. ""This will be forming the strategic plan for the university for the next 10 years."" 

Goals for the next 5 years include reinvigorating the Wisconsin Idea, preparing global citizens and leaders, ensuring a diverse community, strengthening the university's preeminence in research and becoming a model stewardship.  

Julie Underwood, interim director for the Office of the Provost, will present the draft to the Senate Feb. 2.