cieslewicz should prioritize jobs

Earlier this month, Mayor Dave Cieslewicz assembled his wish list"" of projects he would like to see accomplished with Barack Obama's upcoming stimulus plan and its possibilities for state and local funding. 

A few of the 64 projects Cieslewicz desires include funding for a new downtown library, improvements to Madison's infrastructure and a County-Wide Radio Communications system for various departments.  

Cieslewicz's plan to utilize the projects to create jobs is a logical, positive step - specifically the necessary and progressive changes offered in the transportation sectors and energy improvements in his plan, which offer to create 146 and 450 jobs, respectively. Such projects not only provide aid to key areas, but also provide jobs to citizens fighting to stay afloat during tough fiscal times. 

However, Cieslewicz has some unnecessary wants. The County-Wide Radio Communication system is a pipe dream in terms of cost, and it does little to provide job opportunities. The downtown library also comes with too large of a price tag, even if it does offer potential jobs. 

Cieslewicz must remain practical in his demands and focus on creating jobs for needed improvements if Obama's plan does deliver the needed funds.