Bo's crew rallies after Longhorn loss

Trevon Hughes: Junior Texas forward Damian James blocks a last second lay-up attempt from junior UW guard Trevon Hughes to seal a Badger loss.

Bo's crew rallies after Longhorn loss

The Wisconsin men's basketball team put together a strong performance over Winter Break, winning five of eight games. The Badgers' 3-2 Big Ten record has them tied for third in the conference standings. 

After showing some inconsistency against weaker non-conference opponents, the Badgers (3-2 Big Ten, 12-5 overall) put together two commanding victories over UW-Green Bay and Coppin State University. Wisconsin's loss to Texas was tough for them to swallow, but the Badgers have shown signs of improvement during Big Ten play. 

Senior forward Marcus Landry currently leads all scorers with 13.1 points per game, with junior guard Trevon Hughes close behind at 12.2 points per contest. A big story has been the reemergence of junior guard Jason Bohannon, who overcame a slow start and has scored in double figures in seven of his last nine games. 

Texas 74, Wisconsin 69 

Last season's signature non-conference win was a thrilling road victory at Texas, but the Longhorns spoiled Wisconsin's chances of winning back-to-back matchups this season at the Kohl Center. 

The Badgers were out-rebounded 40-25 and shot only 67 percent from the free-throw line, but stayed in the game due to timely buckets and three-point shooting. Wisconsin had a seven-point lead with 6:33 remaining in the first half, but the Longhorns countered with 11 unanswered points, taking a 39-37 lead into the break.  

The second half was a back-and-forth battle with several lead changes.  

Wisconsin held a one-point lead with 2:45 to play, but a costly turnover by the Badgers gave the Longhorns the momentum. A few more timely baskets and clutch free-throw shooting sealed a Texas win.  

Wisconsin 73, Michigan 61 

In Wisconsin's first game of Big Ten play, the Badgers could not afford to underestimate a Wolverine team that had already knocked off two big-time opponents in Duke and UCLA. The Badgers responded with a scorching start in Ann Arbor, hitting nine of their first 10 shots and running out to a 12-point lead eight minutes into the game. 

Later the Wolverines cut the deficit back to nine after an 11-2 run with three minutes remaining. The Badgers, however, kept their lead in double digits for the remainder of the contest, finishing off arguably their most impressive victory of the season. Landry and Hughes led the Badgers with 16 points apiece. Wisconsin also held Michigan leading-scorer and sophomore guard Manny Harris to just 3-of-13 shooting. 

Wisconsin 65, Penn State 61 

After a 12-2 Penn State start, Wisconsin was not dealing with the typical Nittany Lions squad which had reached the .500 mark just once in their past five seasons. Penn State showed its great improvement but Wisconsin held on for a narrow victory at the Kohl Center. 

Landry had a huge game for the Badgers finishing with 23 points and five rebounds. Wisconsin led 48-40 with 9:34 remaining, but Penn State answered with three straight three-pointers to take a one-point lead. Landry hit a turnaround jumper with just under a minute left to give Wisconsin a 63-60 lead, and followed up with a breakaway dunk to seal the victory. 

Wisconsin 74, Northwestern 45 

Wisconsin's defensive intensity evoked memories of last season's squad against a much-improved Northwestern team. The Badgers limited the Wildcats to just 31 percent shooting for the game while shooting 50 percent on the offensive side. 

This contest also gave junior guard Jason Bohannon a major boost of confidence, finishing with a career-high 20 points to go along with six rebounds and five assists. 

We had multiple guys that had multiple assists, and when you have that, you know you are playing good basketball,"" Bohannon said. ""There were times tonight when we were getting six passes, clean and crisp, moving it around the perimeter and getting a lay-up. When you have that going on, you know you are going to play well that night."" 

Purdue 65, Wisconsin 52 

After Purdue dropped its first two Big Ten games, the Boilermakers were desperate for a win and it showed in a strong defensive effort against the Badgers. The Boilermakers made an early 19-4 run and, with about three minutes to go in the first half, took a commanding 32-18 lead. Wisconsin fought back with consecutive three-pointers and cut the deficit to six going into the break. 

In the second half, Purdue's stifling defense kept the Badgers in check, going on yet another 19-4 run and putting the game out of reach.  

""Purdue took us out of some things we like to do,"" Landry said. ""They were just more aggressive than we were. They really pressured us on the perimeter."" 

The Badgers had no answer for sophomore forward JaJuan Johnson inside, who finished with 20 points and 10 rebounds.  

Purdue also got a big lift from its preseason conference player of the year, sophomore forward Robbie Hummel, who overcame a back injury to hit four three-pointers off the bench. 

Minnesota 78. Wisconsin 74 

The Badgers fell in overtime at the Kohl Center, giving No. 17 Minnesota its first win on Wisconsin's home court in 10 tries and dropping the Badgers out of second place in the Big Ten standings.  

Wisconsin held a 14-point lead in the second half, but the Gophers ratcheted up their pressure and forced the game away from the Badgers' preferred pace.  

Minnesota forced 18 turnovers, seven more than Wisconsin's season average.  

Junior Gopher guard Lawrence Westbrook scored a game-high 29 points, including a leaning 3-point shot that tied the game at 62 and sent it into overtime.  

- uwbadgers.com  

contributed to this report.