Programs offer students physical self-defense skills

In light of a recent surge in crime in the downtown area, several programs on the UW-Madison campus are offering lessons in self-defense. 

Chimera, a nationwide self-defense program, is being offered through Madison's Rape Crisis Center at Gordon Commons. 

The program caters to the needs of women, stressing avoidance and teaching physical protection skills. Participants of the program learn techniques to reduce the risk of harassment and assault. 

Students interested in particiapating in the Chimera program have to pay $20, which includes a 33 percent student discount, to participate in the six-hour class. Classes will resume in late January and are available until May. 

The Department of Kinesiology is offering students a self-defense and assault prevention course that covers proper punching, striking, kicking, wrestling and grappling techniques. 

Robert Yu, from the UW-Madison School of Education, teaches the class and focuses his lectures on how students can physically protect themselves. 

All of those who are in need of support regarding issues of sexual assault should call the 24-hour crisis line at 251-7273. 

As an added safety precaution, university officials are asking students to walk with friends at night and to utilize SAFE Nighttime Services when the situation presents itself.  

- Erin Banco