Lady icers wrap up near perfect first half

As first semesters go, it could not have been much better for the Wisconsin women's hockey team. 

Through its first 20 games, the team was nearly perfect, going 18-0-2. After a rough start by the defending national champion Minnesota-Duluth Bulldogs, the Badgers took over the No. 1 spot in the USCHO.com poll on Oct. 14 and have not looked back since, holding the nation's top spot for nine straight weeks. Eight times the vote was unanimous. 

In the WCHA, Wisconsin simply took care of business. The Badgers took three of four points from both Minnesota and Minnesota-Duluth on consecutive weekends in October. The team's 12 wins in league play are tied for the most in the WCHA and put the Badgers atop the standings, one point ahead of the rival Golden Gophers. 

Meanwhile, records have fallen left and right. This season marks the best start in program history, breaking the record of the 2006-'07 squad that went unbeaten through its first 15 games. Wisconsin's current unbeaten streak of 20 games is also the longest in the country. This year's team is also on pace to break the record for goals scored in a season (170) set in 2004-'05. 

On an individual level, senior goaltender Jessie Vetter eclipsed the national mark for career shutouts, notching her 31st against New Hampshire early last month. With Wisconsin's 6-2 victory over St. Cloud last Saturday, Vetter also tied the school record for victories (75), currently shared with Jackie MacMillan. 

Vetter's the backbone of our team,"" junior forward Meghan Duggan said. ""She's a wall in there, and she's been keeping us in a ton of games."" 

Offensively, sophomore forward Hilary Knight broke the school record for goals in a game, recording five against Quinnipiac on the season's opening weekend. Her 39 points in only 18 games also put Knight on pace to break Meghan Hunter's school record of 78 in a season. 

""[Knight's] obviously a really talented player,"" senior captain Erika Lawler said. ""I think [the record] is definitely a possibility for her, and if she just keeps playing the way she's playing, there's no question in my mind that she'll accomplish that."" 

Knight is far from the only one contributing for the Badgers. Lawler and Duggan rank first and second in the country in assists, and freshman forward Brooke Ammerman is second in goals with 20, only two behind Knight. 

""I think all of our freshmen have come in and played a huge role on our team so far, but Brooke has definitely made an impact and caught the eyes of a lot of other teams throughout the season,"" Duggan said. ""She's been a great asset to us."" 

Despite all of their early season success, the Badgers know that they cannot afford to relax too much. 

""The second half of the season always brings a little more intensity because you know the playoffs are around the corner,"" Duggan said. ""I'm just looking forward to keeping up this pace that we have right now."" 

Wisconsin's intensity level will be put to the test early in 2009. After an exhibition game against the U.S. Select Team, the Badgers open the second half of the WCHA season with a series in Duluth against the defending national champion Bulldogs. 

""That's going to be a true test of how hard we worked over break,"" Duggan said. ""Duluth's a great team, and I think they're going to give us a battle."" 

Although there's a tough second semester of hockey ahead of them, the team's goal remains clear. 

""We just need to keep doing what we've been doing,"" Duggan said. ""I'm hoping to end up in Boston in March.""