Valai's enthusiasm, big hits can fill leadership gap
The Wisconsin Badgers defeat the Minnesota Gophers 35-32 in Madison, WI on Nov. 15, 2008.

With the arrival of Senior Day, it's only natural to reminisce over the last few years. After this day, some of the most visible members of Badger football as we know it will never play in Camp Randall again. At least 11 starters will bid farewell to the place where they have spent the last four or five years. Badger fans and players alike have much to reflect on. 

They also face a future with many questions. The Wisconsin program won't have much time to indulge in the past because roughly one half of the offensive and defensive lineup will need to be replaced.  

Some of the answers are already apparent. Tight end Travis Beckum, whose senior year was robbed by injuries, was without a doubt the team's best player. His career as a Badger is over, but the tight end position is in good hands with standout junior Garrett Graham and budding sophomore Lance Kendricks. Freshman offensive tackle Josh Oglesby will ease the pain of Eric Vandenheuvel's departure. Provided that he successfully recovers from the knee injury he suffered at the end of the 2007 season, sophomore cornerback Aaron Henry will pair with fellow sophomore Niles Brinkley to replace the void left by Allen Langford.  

The fact remains, though, that some of these seniors are the face of the team, which begs the question, who will become the face of the teams from this point? Who will be the next Chris Pressley, the leader who the rest of the team can look to during the most crucial moments? The four captains, fullback Chris Pressley, guard Craig Urbik, defensive tackle Mike Newkirk and linebacker DeAndre Levy, are all seniors.  

The answer to the question of leadership is never easy, but at least one player who figures to stick around for awhile looks the part. Sophomore safety Jay Valai has the contagious enthusiasm and fearlessness on the field that tends to inspire. Chris Pressley led by example in making big hits on offense, so it wouldn't be surprising to see Valai function in a similar manner through his defensive play.  

Making the hit on the quarterback and making a game-changing [play], I love it,"" said Valai. ""That's what I love to 

do, hitting people.""  

Valai was a relative unknown before this season and still isn't exactly a household name, but his jaw-dropping hits have certainly caught the attention of opposing wide receivers and ball carriers. Against Indiana, Valai dealt a crushing hit to sophomore quarterback Ben Chappell, causing a fumble that DeAndre Levy returned for a 45-yard gain  

Valai also sets an example with his energy and eagerness to play in all phases of the game. Even while starting at strong safety and making big hits on defense, Valai was asking head coach Bret Bielema if he could play on special teams coverage.  

""One thing about Jay, and I notice this from his high school film too, is that he doesn't need many steps to come up with a full-speed hit,"" Bielema said after the Indiana game. ""I can't give it up enough for Jay and guys like DeAndre Levy that came up to me and talked about getting put on special teams ... just to have the ability to get down the field and make a play."" 

Despite being in his first season as a starter, Valai has never looked like the typical newcomer. He ranks fourth on the team with 52 tackles, and he leads the team with three forced fumbles. He insists the inexperience of himself and his partners in the secondary is a non-issue, and certainly no excuse for poor execution. ""It doesn't affect us at all,"" he said. ""We just play football. Football is football. Just do your job.""  

It's always more convincing when the guy telling you to do your job is doing a good job himself. Routinely making hits that can be heard a mile away might qualify as doing such a thing. That's the sort of example you expect from a leader.