Landry's big day key in victory

Marcus Landry: Senior forward Marcus Landry hit a critical sho in the final minutes of Sunday's win against the 49ers.

Landry's big day key in victory

Wisconsin's first regular season game brought an opponent that matched its intensity down to the final minute. The Badgers made that final minute count, however, making clutch plays to hold on and defeat the Long Beach State 68-61. 

Wisconsin senior forward Marcus Landry was the lead scorer with 23 points, shooting 7-for-10 from the field, including three 3-pointers. He also had a strong game inside, getting to the line for nine free throw attempts. 

Long Beach State head coach Dan Monson recognized Landry's immense value to the Badgers.  

We didn't have an answer for Landry, he was just so strong inside that he was able to post up and really do damage as a senior does,"" Monson said. ""Winners know how to make plays like he did and when that team needed him - it was Landry's team tonight."" 

The timing of Landry's plays also had a huge impact. He hit a crucial three-pointer and had a big block on defense in the final minute to put the game out of reach for the 49ers. Landry credited this performance to basic fundamentals and his day-by-day repetition outside of games. 

""It's something we do everyday in practice,"" Landry said. ""Coach always says to practice how you play. Those are the things I try to do in practice, that I try to imitate when it comes to the game. It's just reading the offense, reading the defense as far as the shot goes and being at the right place at the right time."" 

Another important factor for the Badgers was tough defense on Long Beach State senior guard Donovan Morris, a CollegeHoops.net Preseason Mid-Major All-American who averaged 21.2 points per game last year. Morris had only two points in the first half, but came alive in second, scoring ten consecutive points in a span of four minutes, willing Long Beach State back in the game. Still, senior forward Joe Krabbenhoft was proud of his team's overall defensive effort.  

""He's a great player and we knew that coming in just looking at his stats from last year,"" Krabbenhoft said. ""I knew he was going to be a tough opponent for me to guard and for the team to contain and when I was on him I just had to do my best. He's a great player and to hold him to 5-for-17 is a great job by this team."" 

Bench Play 

Wisconsin gave nine players playing time Sunday, with freshman guards Jordan Taylor and Rob Wilson and sophomore forwards Tim Jarmusz and Jon Leuer giving the starters a rest.  

After a solid exhibition season, Taylor continued to show maturity surprising of a freshman. Taylor played 15 minutes at point guard and committed just one turnover. 

""Jordan's just a bulldog,"" Landry said. ""He's coming in here and he's able to contribute right away and he's a really smart freshman. He's able to make plays and do the right thing. That's why he's on the floor and that's why coach likes him a lot."" 

Sophomore forward Tim Jarmusz also made his presence known, particularly with his defensive effort on Morris throughout the game. 

""He's going to come in and give you positive things off the bench,"" Krabbenhoft said. ""That's the main thing you're looking for with a guy like him, just coming in there and doing the right things, bringing the energy up, getting the hustle plays. Luckily we had him because there were times out there when he affected Morris's rhythm.