Hughes leads UW past San Diego

nankivil: Wisconsin sophomore forward Keaton Nankivil had 10 points and four rebounds for the Badgers against San Diego Sunday night.

Hughes leads UW past San Diego

After victories over Iona College and San Diego University, the Wisconsin men's basketball team will advance to the Paradise Jam Tournament title game for a matchup with the No. 2 University of Connecticut Huskies. 

In Sunday night's semifinal action, the Badgers defeated the San Diego Toreros by a score of 64-49 to secure a spot in the finals. Wisconsin shot 48.8 percent from the field and tightened up on defense, holding the Toreros to just 34.5 percent shooting. The Badgers also had a big advantage at the free throw line, with 23 attempts compared to the Toreros' seven. Junior guard Trévon Hughes led all scorers with 22 points on eight for 11 shooting. 

This was not the first game of the weekend where Hughes was able to lead the Badgers to victory. In Friday's first round matchup against Iona, the Badgers trailed the Gaels 35-29 midway through the second half. But Hughes pulled Wisconsin back into the game, converting 7-of-8 free throws over the final 10 minutes of the second half and overtime. Hughes finished with 21 points, including the game-winning field goal with just 58 seconds to play in overtime, resulting in a 60-58 win. 

In this game, the Badgers needed Hughes' offensive efforts. Wisconsin shot just 31 percent from the field, but the Badgers were able to overcome this, due in part to Hughes' attack of the Gaels' defense. Hughes converted 11-of-12 free throws for the game.  

After Hughes' performance against Iona, assistant coach Greg Gard said he was proud of Hughes' growth in maturity from last season. 

I think somebody who really grew was Trévon,"" said Gard. ""A year ago if he gets into that kind of game, he melts a little bit when people start coming after him. But down the stretch he was the aggressor. That was great to see. He was pushing the envelope and made things happen."" 

Despite Hughes' superb play, the game was especially sloppy, as UW and Iona combined for 37 turnovers and 55 fouls. Still, the Badgers converted 25-of-34 free throw attempts and head coach Bo Ryan was pleased with his team's ability to stay focused.  

""I'm extremely happy with the win,"" Ryan said. ""We didn't get scatterbrained. [The players] stuck with what they needed to do. You've got to get to the line, and we did. When you get into these types of games, that's what you've got to do."" 

UW also benefited from strong play by its upperclassmen, including junior guard Jason Bohannon, who finished with 13 points and six rebounds. Hughes says it was important for the upperclassmen to establish themselves early in the season. 

""Everybody at every position was looking at the upperclassmen in that game to see what we were going to do,"" said Hughes. ""We have to lead by example. We have to gain the trust of our freshmen. A game like that will get us closer as a team."" 

Next up for the Badgers will be a Monday matchup with UConn. The Huskies have lived up to high expectations so far this season. They beat La Salle 89-81 in the first round of the Paradise Jam before taking down the No. 16 Miami Hurricanes on Sunday with a 76-63 win. 

After a subpar game against La Salle, 7'3"" junior center Hasheem Thabeet made his presence known in Sunday's win over Miami, finishing with 19 points, 14 rebounds and seven blocked shots. Senior guard A.J. Price also showed his versatility at the guard position, grabbing 11 rebounds to go along with 13 points and five assists. 

To limit the Huskies, the Badgers will have to try and contain these two players while cooling off a scorching Huskie offense that has shot 54.7 and 47.5 percent respectively in the tournament's first two games. 

Monday's Paradise Jam Final tip-off is set for 7:30 p.m. central time. 

- badgerbeat.com contributed to this report.